Hi, I am new to the forum and hope I posted at the right place. I will be travelling with my family (All adults) in June and have 30 days for Thailand, Cambodia and Laos. Starting in Bangkok I would appreciate some feedback on the following proposed itinerary:
Bangkok 5 nights (arrival and departure), Siem Reap 4 nights, Phnom Phen 2 nights, Vientiane 3 nights, Luang Prabang 4 nights, Chiangmai 4 nights. I am allowing the remaining days for travel and unplanned events or to extend my stay on one of the locations.
I would appreciate comments on the following:
1. Does this sound like a reasonable itinerary for the time we have
2. Any suggestions to reduce or add time in any of the locations
3. Any location that I should/could add (We are not so much into the touristy stuff)
4. Any part of the trip where it would make more sense to fly between destinations
5. Is the weather at this time of the year a concerns to travel to those locations?
6. General safety when travelling to those locations especially from a women's perspective
I don't expect any long comments as we are all busy. Sort sharp and shiny will suffice
Tanks in advance
1) Yes this is a popular routing, though there are a lot of places in between some of the destinations -- especially between Phnom Penh and Vientiane and between Chiang Mai and Bangkok that may be worth breaking the journey at.
2) The time allowed for each is about right, perhaps give Phnom Penh an extra day
3) Between Bangkok and Chiang Mai, see this story for between Phnom Penh and Vientiane, I'd consider adding 4,000 islands and the Konglo loop, between Vientiane and Luang Prabang, add Vang Vieng
4) If you don't want to break it up, fly Phnom Penh to Vientiane.
5) You'll be travelling in wet season for all three countries, so you will get some rain. I wouldn't change your plan because of it though.
6) These are all generally very safe destinations - aside from general common sense I'd have no specific advice.
Hope that helps
#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,652
Send somtam2000 a private message Where has somtam2000 been? Website Twitter Facebook Flickr Google+ Instagram Pinterest