Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Route advice needed

Posted by Decoy on 28/2/2013 at 16:44

A friend and I will be travelling around South East Asia at the turn of the year. We have a set route but need some advice about the southern islands/countries.

From Malaysia/Singapore we want to visit Borneo, most/all of the Indonesian islands and the Philippines, before ending up in Australia/New Zealand. What is the best route to take in regards to ease/money?

We want to avoid air travel as much as possible. Thanks in advance for your help.

#1 Decoy has been a member since 8/8/2012. Posts: 7

Posted by caseyprich on 28/2/2013 at 19:15

I've never visited Borneo or the Philippines - but everyone I know that has took a number of puddle jumper airplanes. I'd probably recommend flying up to Manila, visiting the Philippines - ending by traversing Palawan, then go to Sabah and Sarawak -flying to Sumatra and working overland through Java, Bali, Lombok . . . and on. It'll be a lot of long boat rides if you avoid flying - the best you'll do for regional ferries and the like will be when you get to Indonesia and jump from island to island there.

#2 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Send caseyprich a private message   Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by goonistik on 1/3/2013 at 03:12

IMHO the logical route is to cross the straits of Malacca by ferry from either Malaysia or Singapore into Sumatra, Indonesia.
Make your way among the Indonesian islands.

If you make Borneo your final island than you have several options to get to the Philippines.

Fly from Brunei to Manila;
Fly from Kota Kinabalu to Manila or Clark
Take the ferry from Sandakan , Malaysia to Zamboanga, Philippines. Beginning April this year, Airphil Express will offer flights between Sandakan and Zamboanga. However, other airlines gave up this route due to lack of traffic. So it remains to be seen how long this flight will be available.

Otherwise the only other connection is Jakarta-Manila by plane.

Than from Manila fly to either NZ or AUS.

#3 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 563
 Send goonistik a private message   Where has goonistik been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.