Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Suggested Budget and Itinerary for Thailand Laos Vietnam and Cambodia

Posted by emmah on 7/3/2013 at 10:48

Hi there, myself and three friends are wanting to travel these 4 countries starting in November. We would be going from Bangkok and finishing again in Bangkok. We would like to spend about 8 weeks doing this, giving us 2 in each country.

I've been looking through posts on here which are great but still struggling to place a rough itinerary together - I like to just wing it but my friends prefer to be a bit more organised! Are there any places we should definitely see and is two weeks a good time to see it all?

Also we have no idea of how much money we will need and would like to do it quite cheap as we will be off to Australia after these 8 weeks! Would £1500-£2000 do it comfortably?

Any help would be appreciated! I know it's very vague at the minute but don't want to book anything until I know I can definitely afford it!

#1 emmah has been a member since 4/3/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by caseyprich on 7/3/2013 at 19:25

That's about 3,000 USD - which could be a little tight for 8 weeks, depending on how many tours and guides you want to hire, if you plan on doing any internal flights as well. I was sharing accommodation with a friend in Cambodia for 3 weeks and spent around 800 USD, didn't do any guided tours - just hired motorbikes most days - but stayed in mid-range, around 15-20 USD a night, air-con/hotwater. I think of Cambodia as a lot cheaper than Vietnam and Thailand though. In Laos you can get accommodation in a lot of places for 8-10USD. Honestly though, if you don't party too much and you go cheap on some accommodation this should get you by.

Vietnam is mighty big, and I think it at least needs 3 weeks if you just want to sample the regions - Hanoi/Halong Bay 1 week, Hue/Hoian 1 week, Saigon/Delta 1 week . . . figuring in with that at least a day to get between regions. This may mean you want to keep Cambodia down to Phnom Penh and Siem Reap for just around a week . . . you also have to think about BKK, north of Thailand and relaxing on islands as probably taking up a little more than a week.

I'd probably recommend you head north to Chiang Mai, work through Northern Laos over to Northern Vietnam, down Vietnam to Saigon - up form Can Tho to Cambodia through the delta, over to Siem Reap. . . from there you, either fly over to the western Thailand islands to end your trip with sun and sand, or go overland to Ko Chang . . .check the weather to decide.

#2 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by caseyprich on 7/3/2013 at 21:00

Oh - this would also have the benefit, of if you work overland through Laos to Hanoi it shouldn't take a full 2 weeks and save you a couple of days. You could also go from Huay Xia down river ot Luang Prabang, Vang Vieng and Vientiane in just under a two weeks and then fly over to Hanoi from Vientiane.

#3 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by emmah on 8/3/2013 at 10:33

Okay great, that's a good starting point! Thanks

#4 emmah has been a member since 4/3/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by daawgon on 8/3/2013 at 12:24

Vietnam is really big and needs at least 3 to 4 weeks to begin to see it. Surface travel in VN can be a problem - I suggest you use buses as little as possible (train and plane are better/safer). You should really read this Tripadvisor posting

Less time needed for Cambodia and Laos

#5 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,111

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.