Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

2 SE Asia questions

Posted by federer_fan_456 on 23/3/2013 at 20:34

Firstly I am planning a 2-3 month trip, I am thinking about going to Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand & Vietnam spending about 2 weeks in each 7 countries. I have excluded Burma, Singapore, Brunei & East Timor as they don't seem all that interesting. Is this enough time to spend in each country to see a fair amount of things?

Secondly, would 6000 (USD) be enough for flights (departing & returning from Australia, food, accommodation & spending money? The reason I am limiting myself to 14 weeks is due to my financial constraints. I'm not fussy about using the cheapest flights & am happy to eat "street food" for the most part but I need to stay in hotels (3 star minimum).

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Jacob.

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

#1 federer_fan_456 has been a member since 23/3/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by Geer1 on 23/3/2013 at 20:56

2 weeks isn't enough for Vietnam or Thailand unless you just want to see a certain part(ex north or south), I would say you need at least 3 weeks in each of these to get a good taste. 2 weeks for Laos and Cambodia is decent. Not sure of the rest as I haven't been there but I believe 2 weeks is probably close for them as well..

I just did a 16 week trip through Thailand/Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam and in total including flights(from Canada, $1400 round trip) it cost me $6200 so your trip is doable. That said it sounds like you may be slightly picky on accommodation so that could very well make it cost more for you as I was willing to stay in hostels in more expensive cities as well as cheap guesthouses(fan rooms and often cold water).

My target was $30 a day and was only spending around $10 on accommodation on average. If you want to stay in decent hotel rooms with ac/hot water etc you will probably have to bump that up to $40 a day. Some tours etc were extra on my $30 per day but that is all captured in my $6200 total spent.

I have a some more info on financing on post 3 of the following thread that may help you.
https://www.travelfish.org/board/post/financemoney/21356_budgeting-for-6-countries-in-four-months-#3

#2 Geer1 has been a member since 14/9/2012. Posts: 540
 Where has Geer1 been? 

Posted by goonistik on 24/3/2013 at 06:07

2 weeks in the Philippines isn't much. You might get 2-3 destinations depending where you go.

#3 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 562
 Where has goonistik been? 

Posted by MADMAC on 24/3/2013 at 06:25

For planning purposes remmember this important phrase: Less is more.

SEA isn't a place about seeing things. There are, of course, things to see. But this place is about the slower pace of life, the easy going attitudes, and a different feel than you'd have back home. If you want to see things, go to Europe. Europe beats everywhere for seeing things.

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.