Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

SE Asia - 8 Week Itinerary (First Time Visitor)

Posted by travelingalpaca on 3/4/2013 at 13:24

Hello! I have never traveled to SE Asia, but I'm planning a solo trip there for July and August, where I'd like to spend roughly eight weeks - a majority of which will probably be spent in Thailand. I'm trying to plan a fairly relaxed paced trip and not include too much, as I don't want to be rushing around the entire time. I'm also trying to mix in some volunteer work along the journey. Here's what I'm thinking about so far. Please let me know if this makes sense/if I'm planning too much time in certain places/not enough time in other places, etc. Any suggestions/recommendations are welcome!

Week 1 - Bangkok and surroundings
Week 2 - East Coast Beaches -- Ko Pha-Ngan, Ko Tao, Ko Samui (I've heard the weather is better on the East Coast in July)
Week 3 - Chiang Mai and surroundings
Weeks 4-6 - Chiang Rai - Volunteer Work/English Teaching, etc.
Weeks 7-8 - Cambodia and then possibly finish in Ho Chi Minh City for a few days

#1 travelingalpaca has been a member since 3/4/2013. Posts: 4

Posted by busylizzy on 3/4/2013 at 20:19

For week 2, I'd focus on one island, or two max. All 3 are quite large and you'll have more than enough to keep you busy on any one of them. Just saves the hassle of checking in/out of accom, waiting for boats, etc. KPN is my favourite (and I am definitely not a Full Moon party girl!) - esp in the North East corner. I didn't think much of Koh Samui, but I was only there for 2 days in one of the popular touristy area. Perhaps my view would have been different if I stayed on and explored the wider island.

I think the rest looks fine.

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.