Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Best time to travel around Southeast Asia for 6 months?

Posted by Nibsynibsy on 11/4/2013 at 06:54

Hi there, this is my first post so please be gentle! Me and my girlfriend are planning a 6 month trip to Southeast Asia. We're in the early stages of planning but I think I know the path we'll be following roughly. We'll fly into Bangkok where we'll stay for a few days then head up north stoping at various places, then head into Laos followed by Vietnam, Cambodia and back into Thailand and travel south and hopefully make it to Singapor before we run out of money! We're planning to go at the start of May next year and I was wondering how the weather would be in these places as I know it's the rainy season and I hate rain! Thanks for any info

#1 Nibsynibsy has been a member since 11/4/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by Geer1 on 11/4/2013 at 22:45

If you hate rain why are you planning on spending nearly 6 months travelling in it? Why not go earlier or wait until rainy season is pretty much over?

#2 Geer1 has been a member since 14/9/2012. Posts: 540
 Send Geer1 a private message   Where has Geer1 been? 

Posted by travellingsarah on 12/4/2013 at 00:30 TF writer

Posted from within Vietnam.

Fair point Geer...however, with 6 months of travelling there's always going to be rain somewhere at some time, so it's just about planning the best you can and living with it if it does rain. Rain can be fun - honest. Or annoying.

Anyway, we travelled for 7 months, starting in July, so a bit later than you are but well and truly hitting rainy season in certain areas. We hadn't really considered it when planning (actually, didn't plan much, just packed and went) and did end up changing our route to avoid the worst of it (skipped quickly through Cambodia and headed south to Malaysia and Singapore then back to Laos / Northern Thailand out of rainy season) so only got affected by rain here and there and it certainly didn't spoil our trip (except in Phnom Penh but there was a lot else contributing to that as well...).

The point of my ramblings is plan as best you can to avoid the rainy hotspots (I'm not going to give you a run down of where's wet when as you can find all that out on this site), being prepared to perhaps have to backtrack a bit, but bear in mind that the rain is usually short and sweet and a good excuse to find a bar to sit in for an hour or two.

#3 travellingsarah has been a member since 23/3/2010. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 681
 Send travellingsarah a private message   Where has travellingsarah been?   Website 

Posted by DesmondTeng on 16/4/2013 at 01:51

6 months is indeed a very long time and getting rain is definitely unavoidable!

However, you can always plan ahead and check the weather forecast and if there are any signs of wet weather,just plan for something indoors.

Alot of countries in SouthEast Asia has indoor attractions that can you can spend easily the whole day at.

While I can't speak for the other SouthEast Asian countries, here in Singapore we use the government's NEA website to check for the weather.

They have a range of forecast down to the next 3 hours!

#4 DesmondTeng has been a member since 16/4/2013. Location: Singapore. Posts: 4
 Send DesmondTeng a private message   Twitter 

Posted by mytravelo on 16/4/2013 at 04:13

I think, Mid Nov is very good for travel around Southeast Asia. Like Thailand, Vietnam has three distinct climates. Hanoi gets downright chilly during the winter months.

#5 mytravelo has been a member since 22/3/2013. Location: India. Posts: 4
 Twitter   Pinterest 

Posted by renukapanth on 19/4/2013 at 08:24

Bali, Indonesia:
In April to October, Temperatures remains 75-86 F and weather is dry.
In December to February: Rainy Season average rain 12 inches.

January to March and June to September: It is hot and humid year-round
October to December: Rainy Season.

January to October. Weather is same as of Malaysia.
November to December: Rainy Season, average rain is about 10 inches.

you can use makemytrip site for luxury and affordable service.

#6 renukapanth has been a member since 9/4/2013. Posts: 3

Posted by Penny92 on 20/10/2014 at 07:56

Hopefully you had a brilliant trip! I was looking to do the same trip with my boyfriend next year. We are doing pretty much the same route as you. How much did you budget for the trip for both of you and was if enough to do everything you wanted?

#7 Penny92 has been a member since 20/10/2014. Posts: 1
 Send Penny92 a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.