Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

New Hanoi Scam?

Posted by HomerJSimpson on 24/6/2007 at 17:24

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi there. The other day I got approached by a guy in Hanoi asking for a donation to the Vietnamese Red Cross. Sure I said after a close inspection of an official looking Vietnamese document and identity card. I donated 50000 dong and when I asked for a receipt, there wasn't any forthcoming. Since then I've been approached several times and turned them down, including one very pushy girl who demanded I donate 50000 dong to her when I told her I had already donated that amount already that day.

A couple of questions:

Have any others been approached?

Is this a bona fide attempt to raise funds, or is it just another scam to lift money from travellers (aka 'walking atm's')?

It is a real shame if this is a scam, because I did donate a pint of my precious blood in Luang Prabang to the Red Cross there, and I take my social responsibilities fairly seriously.

#1 HomerJSimpson has been a member since 18/4/2007. Posts: 6

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.