Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

volunteering in southeast asia/thailand?

Posted by hobo on 1/5/2013 at 12:25

hi all
currently in the early stages of planning my trip, looking at between 6 - 12 months maybe longer, done a lot of research on various sites about cost, visa etc... hoping to have about enough in savings by end of this year to fund the adventure :)
anyway the only real thing i cant find much info on is volunteering, and i mean genuine volunteering not this £1500 for two weeks touristeering thing, suspect many of them are scams but maybe that's me being suspicious... i don't have any special skills nor degrees but would be willing to put the work in as needed, with the main aim to help out somewhere, meet the locals, do some networking for other projects and fill some of my time...
any advice or pointers would be appreciated, thanks.

#1 hobo has been a member since 1/5/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by PaulFarrugia on 21/5/2013 at 10:06

Hi hobo!

Check out our site it has many free and low cost volunteering opportunities all around the world. It is free to join as we work like couchsurfing where if you donate you will get a verified profile.

Good luck and happy travelling!

#2 PaulFarrugia has been a member since 3/4/2013. Posts: 4

Posted by Xircal on 22/5/2013 at 08:36

Hi hobo,

Have a look at this volunteer opportunity and decide whether it appeals to you or not.

But be aware that in order to work as a volunteer in Thailand you need a work permit even if you're not getting paid. To get one of those, you first of all have to obtain a non-immigrant 'B' (business) visa. See this link for more details:

#3 Xircal has been a member since 24/12/2012. Posts: 95
 Send Xircal a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.