Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Itinerary for last minute month (June) of solo backpacking in Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos

Posted by s1136380 on 19/5/2013 at 10:05

Hi there,
I have very recently booked a cheap month long trip with return flights to Ho Chi Minh from the 3rd of June to the 2nd of July. My rough plan is to go straight from Saigon over to Cambodia to Sihanokville (any idea if this is a good idea weather wise?), then up to Siem Reap, then Don Dhet (1000 islands), Up to Luang Prabang, then cross the boarder into vietnam and head to Sa Pa, then to Hannoi and back down the coast to Ho Chi Minh (Hopefully seing Ha Long bay, Ho an, Da nang and Nha Trang). I am a 21 year old English male on a very, very tight budget.

Does anybody have any advice as to whether this is possible or any other recommendations (considering the weather, my tight budget etc also).

Thank you very much!!!

#1 s1136380 has been a member since 19/5/2013. Posts: 3

Posted by Lilypham on 19/5/2013 at 10:59

Posted from within Vietnam.

The period from the 3rd of June to the 2nd of July is still low season for tourism in Vietnam, so the price for service is also cheaper than it in the rest of year. I think most of tourist destination such as Halong Bay, Hoi An, Da Nang and Nha Trang are worth seeing when travelling to Vietnam. You should spend one night in Hanoi first and the next day go to Halong Bay. It is very easy to find a good and cheap hotel in Hanoi Old Quarter with the price of $22 - $25, otherwise you can book hostel which is also available anytime. You should book Halong bay cruise trip directly with the cruise organiser by entering their website. It will help you save your budget. Have a good trip !!

#2 Lilypham has been a member since 18/5/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by daawgon on 19/5/2013 at 12:43

That is a great deal of real estate to see in one short month, and it sounds like you plan to use surface travel? The trouble is that you will be spending the majority of your time on transport (buses in Indochina are less than safe in my opinion). You could easily spend that month in Vietnam itself, and then not see all of that country. The trip overland from Laos to Vietnam is not an easy one - beware!

It would have been much better to have an open jaw ticket into N. Vietnam and out of somewhere in Laos or Cambodia.

#3 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,111

Posted by s1136380 on 19/5/2013 at 12:54

Thank you for your responses. I will take everything into account. I have just realized that this really should be in the SE Asia forum. Apologies

#4 s1136380 has been a member since 19/5/2013. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.