Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Travelling South East Asia in September

Posted by Eldwyer90 on 23/5/2013 at 20:05

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice about travelling SE Asia around the monsoon season. I want to try and draw up an itinerary to avoid it as much as possible. I'm currently teaching in South Korea and my contract is up mid September. I've done some research and found that Malaysia looks ok to travel in September. I was thinking of starting there however I can't work out what country to move on to next in October. I want to visit Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand. Has anyone visited these countries in October? If so how did you find it and what was the weather like? I can travel up until late December so really I just need to find a country to visit in October whilst the rainy season generally passes. I believe November is a great month to travel any of these countries.

Thank you for your help.

Eleanor

#1 Eldwyer90 has been a member since 14/5/2013. Posts: 4
 Send Eldwyer90 a private message 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 24/5/2013 at 00:17

In general the east coast is drier in September, i.e. east coast peninsular Malaysia (Perhentian Islands, etc.) and the lower Gulf of Thailand (Ko Samui/Phangan/Tao) but when you get into October the SW/NE monsoons usually change over and during this transitional period weather gets very fickle and unpredictable. Then November the east coast gets rainy and it's better to go west. I wouldn't obsess too much about rain - it's the tropics and rains are usually late afternoon and last an hour or so.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,918

Posted by brandonjames123 on 12/6/2013 at 00:50

Hi there !

I'm currently in the same situation as yourself as I will be backpacking around SEA as of the 16th of September for around about 4 to 6 months depending on money and company

so far my itinerary is not 100% but I have rough Idea of the best route through SEA :

I'm flying in the Ho chi Min city (Vietnam) then travelling all the way up the coast to the top of Vietnam from there I will head over to Laos then to Cambodia from Cambodia to Thailand and from Thailand to India then to Tokyo

From what Iv'e heard between September to December is the best time of the year to travel SEA although you cant be 100% certain on the weather it is generally a really nice time to travel even if it is there wet season

#3 brandonjames123 has been a member since 15/1/2013. Posts: 6

Posted by amnicoll on 12/6/2013 at 05:38

brandonjames - SEA is a very large area and not surprisingly the weather varies quite considerably. If you take Cambodia, the southern halves of Laos and vietnam and Thailand then I would say Mid November through to March is the best time but the northern border areas of Laos and Vietnam can be cold and the SouthEastern side of thailand and NE mainland Malaysia will still have the monsoons until early Jan which could affect transport to some islands

There are plenty of weather maps around and although you will never avoid the rain you can plan sensibly

#4 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 757
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.