Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Travel route advice please! Thailand / Cambodia / Vietnam / Laos

Posted by IndiaGabrielle on 14/6/2013 at 04:28

Helloo travellers,

I'm flying out to Bangkok at the end of July and plan to spend around three months travelling SE Asia. My budget will be around £2,500 - 3000 (not including flight from UK to Bangkok).

Would love to hear some reccomendations on routes to take - i.e. Start from Bangkok, go through Cambodia, up Vietnam, through Laos and back down Thailand - or perhaps the other way round?

Would be great to hear your stories - I want to optimise my experience to maximum potential!

#1 IndiaGabrielle has been a member since 5/6/2013. Posts: 20
 Send IndiaGabrielle a private message 

Posted by IndiaGabrielle on 14/6/2013 at 05:09

Also open to suggestions of other places - Singapore is on my radar!

#2 IndiaGabrielle has been a member since 5/6/2013. Posts: 20
 Send IndiaGabrielle a private message 

Posted by jdpearce on 14/6/2013 at 10:49

I am also planning a trip, though I'm starting in Saigon. My suggestion is to buy map of the area (I found one for Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam for less than US$18) and start reading blogs and web sites for recommendations.

My trip will be via motorcycle, so bought individual maps of each country. Then I searched for "SE Asia Motorcycle" and got tons of sites, many with good information that would help regardless of how you travel.

Some of the must-see places seem to be:
Vietnam--Hanoi, HaLong Bay, SaPa, Dalat, Hoi An, and Hue
Cambodia-- Angkor Thom, Angkor Wat (still searching)
Thailand--Chiang Khong, Chiang Rai, Mae Salong (on Myanmar border), Chiang Mai, Sukkhothai, and Ko Lipe
Laos--Vientiane, Vang Vieng, Luang Phabang, Houaykai (across from Chiang Khong)

You might also want to include Myanmar if you're adventurous.

#3 jdpearce has been a member since 14/6/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by chopin on 15/6/2013 at 03:53

For 3 months, probably like this:

Bangkok, Central & North Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Southern Vietnam, Central Vietnam, Northern Vietnam, fly back to Bangkok, (optional at this stage: some Burma experience), Southern Thailand islands.

Details on each sub-region can be worked out more, but generally I'd do it this way. For Burma, it all depends on whether you can spare 2 to 3 weeks from your schedule. Singapore: not too keen. How about adding Penang (for about 3-4 days) at Northern Malaysia? I feel it is more worthy than Singapore.

#4 chopin has been a member since 28/4/2007. Posts: 154
 Send chopin a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.