Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Itinerary - 2 Months, 4 countries.

Posted by jcs92 on 15/6/2013 at 06:41

Got a rough plan for 2 months (64 days) in SE Asia and wanted some guidance and advice on my itinerary. Too little time?...etc.
Also better transport ideas?

London to Bangkok, arrive on 18th June evening.
4 days in Bangkok.
(22nd June) 10 day booked tour from Bangkok, through Cambodia finishing in HCMC in Vietnam.
2 weeks(too short???) travelling by train through Vietnam from HCMC to Hanoi. Stopping at Nha Trang, Hoi An, Hue, Ha Long Bay.
Hanoi to Vientiane by bus or pricey flight(???) 1 week in Laos from Vientiane to Luang Prabang via Vang Vieng.
Luang Prubang to Chang Mai (Bus is best???)

3 days in Chang Mai. Fly/bus (???) down to Phuket .
1 week on Phuket coast area/phi-phi and other islands.
Bus (???) and boat to Ko Samui/Ko Pha-ngan/Ko Toa for 1 week.
Bus/train (???) back to Bangkok for 21st August flight.

This rough plan gives me 9/10 days extra to allocate so I can stay somewhere longer if I like...etc.

#1 jcs92 has been a member since 30/5/2013. Posts: 9
 Send jcs92 a private message 

Posted by jcs92 on 15/6/2013 at 17:06

Anyone?

Particularly transports advice?
Plane from Chang Mai to south Thailand is so much but bus/train takes ages probably?

#2 jcs92 has been a member since 30/5/2013. Posts: 9

Posted by chopin on 16/6/2013 at 02:47

Hi jcs, there are 2 similar posts in this same forum. Only difference are the duration.

https://www.travelfish.org/board/post/indochina/22123_honeymoon-in-south-east-asia---3-weeks

https://www.travelfish.org/board/post/indochina/22208_travel-route-advice-please--thailand---cambodia---vietnam---laos

#3 chopin has been a member since 28/4/2007. Posts: 154
 Send chopin a private message 

Posted by jcs92 on 16/6/2013 at 05:18

Thanks!

Any tips on the Chang Mai to Phuket/South Thailand route though?

#4 jcs92 has been a member since 30/5/2013. Posts: 9

Posted by caseyprich on 16/6/2013 at 06:45

A booked tour through Cambodia?

Two weeks to traverse Vietnam?
-skip Nah Trang, a couple of days in HCMC (3-4). . . fly to Da Nang (5-6 including Hue). . . explore the area . . . night train to Hanoi . . . explore the area (5 with Ha Long Bay).

You've got 2 months and that is a good bit of time - but I'd recommend rethinking your double archipelago at the end of the trip and consider picking just one of those sets of islands to spend more time with. Take 1/2 the time you save and apply it to either Vietnam or the very short time you've given yourself in Laos. Better yet - skip Laos and fly directly from Hanoi to Chiang Mai and use the time you save to explore either Vietnam or Northern Thailand more.

If I had two months, I'd probably stick to two countries, Cambodia/Vietnam or Laos/Thailand sort of thing.

#5 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Send caseyprich a private message   Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by jcs92 on 16/6/2013 at 08:29

A 10 day tour yes, hopefully meet some people to start off the trip.

2 weeks is too rushed for Vietnam...

Kinda want to do all 4 countries to get a general pic of the region.

#6 jcs92 has been a member since 30/5/2013. Posts: 9

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.