Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Help me with South East Asia Travel Itinerary

Posted by charms204 on 30/6/2013 at 23:32

I am planning to travel sometime in September or October for a month. I might extend it up to 45 days. I am hoping to cover Myanmar,Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, East Malaysia and Indonesia. I know this is a long list for such a short period but I can drop off Indonesia and East Malaysia if there is going to be a time constraint. I want to travel in a relaxed way and would like to see as much as I can. Each country will have a lot of nice places to visit and I am yet to start my research on this. I will be starting from South India. Please suggest from which country I should start and give me a rough itinerary to help me develop a detailed itinerary.

As for East Malaysia, should I get a separate visa or normal Malaysian tourist visa is sufficient?
Thanks in advance.

#1 charms204 has been a member since 30/6/2013. Posts: 4
 Where has charms204 been? 

Posted by MADMAC on 1/7/2013 at 00:12

"I want to travel in a relaxed way and would like to see as much as I can."

These two things are not compatable. Either you want to travel in a relaxed way, or you want to see as much as you can. You can not do both. The process of moving around is inherently stressful, so the more you do it, the less relaxing it is.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by charms204 on 1/7/2013 at 00:50

What i meant by being relaxed is that I don't want to go to 7-8 places in a day and not having the feel of actually being there.I want to spend some time in each place to get the feel of it, if you know what i mean. I can move around quickly and but when I am in a place, i have to be there physically and mentally. I don't want to be thinking about the next destination when I am visiting a place.

#3 charms204 has been a member since 30/6/2013. Posts: 4

Posted by Tilapia on 1/7/2013 at 08:23

You should start by reading this ... https://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/thailand-indochina-tour1

#4 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,508
 Send Tilapia a private message   Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by MADMAC on 1/7/2013 at 11:00

I'm not being hypercritical here, because there is nothing wrong with sightseeing. But it sounds like that's what you want to do.

I don't know how much you have "travelled" (an interesting term that means diffeent things to different people) but in SEA, in my view, it's not about seeing things. For sure there are things to see. But the tropics has a way of eating things faster than in Europe, for example. The appeal here tends to be the pace of life, the fart off factor, the just general feeling you can forget about real life for a while around smiling, chilled out people. Moving around rapidly, covering a lot of geograghy, defeats that particular purpose.

Having said that, if it's things you really want to see, then it woud help if you started with a list of specific sights you are interested in. There's some smart, well travelled people here who have been to those places, and can help you with specifics. So I would check Tilapia's link, lay down the locations of special interest, and you should have no problem getting the detailed info you are looking for for each.

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by charms204 on 1/7/2013 at 21:42

Thank you Tilapia for the link. I find it very helpful.

#6 charms204 has been a member since 30/6/2013. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.