you did great walking 5+ miles a day for 18 days across Europe, next May instead of doing a couple of weeks in China, lets backpack 25 days flying into Beijing and flying out of Singapore". Somewhere in there Macau and HK are places we both want to see.
Any input is greatly appreciated.
A couple of points.
We did Netherlands,Germany,Austria, Italy, all Airbnb accommodations, rented car, however mostly had the car parked, used public transportation and walked around 5+ miles a day.
I have never backpacked in my life, and nearly declined right away, but the more I thought about it the more I wanted to at least seriously consider it.
Any good advice as to where and how to start to plan out a doable itinerary would be great.
Thank in advance.
#1 Mike5522 has been a member since 4/8/2013. Posts: 3
I didn't discover backpackers' accommodation until I was over 40, and my first fear was that I would be too old to be accepted in such places. What I found was that in 90% of places I was very welcome, and I didn't want to stay in the other 10% anyway.
I don't have any specific itinerary suggestions for you, but let me assure you that you are not too late to start backpacking!
#2 neilmason has been a member since 31/12/2012. Posts: 39
neilmason....TY for the encouragement;)
#4 Mike5522 has been a member since 4/8/2013. Posts: 3
Firstly, I think it's terrific that you travel with your kid - should be a great experience for you both.
Onto your query: I don't see backpacking as being much different from any other kind of travel. What does it really mean anyway? I went backpacking for the first time 2 years ago (in my late 30s), but I wasn't sleeping in crummy hostals (you don't find that many hostals in a lot of Asian countries anyway). Instead I stayed in small guesthouses, as most backpackers do. I used public transport to get about. I carried my gear in a backpack rather than a wheelie bag.... but really it's not hugely different than any other non-backpacking trip I've done. So I really wouldn't let the word "backpacking" put you off. You and your kid can design the sort of trip that works for both of you, and still call it "backpacking".
Finally, Beijing to Singapore is a massively long way. In order to get from one to the other in 25 days, you're probably going to have to use internal flights to skip big bits of country, or you'll never make it. I guess the first thing to do is come up with a wish list, then see how far apart those places are and decide how many you can realistically fit into 25 days. Remember, the more distance you try and cover, the less time you have to actually see and do things, as you'll spend more time on buses/trains/airport waiting rooms.
Have a great time.
antoniamitchell said Quote: "I don't see backpacking as being much different from any other kind of travel. What does it really mean anyway? I went backpacking for the first time 2 years ago (in my late 30s)
Well I went backpacking for the first time 15 years ago (in my late 50s), Now I (we) are 70+ and intend heading off for a 3 - 6 month stint when our dog lets us (see the reason here Wandering Wombats ) so go for it, as anton said you don't have to stop in crummy rooms.
In fact the "Buzzword" now is "Flashpacking" which is really where we fit in I guess. Dorms are definitely out LOL.
And like Niel says if you feel "unwelcome" go somewhere else .
I also think your Beijing - Singapore is not do-able unless you love stress and panic Shorten the distance and enjoy or make two trips.
SEA is cheap so you don't need to stay in hostels anyway. You could even get good separate rooms or bungalows lot of places for $30-40 each if you need some space and he wants a girl. What a good way for a father and son to bond.
#7 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148
Note NK and Macau are a lot more expensive than SEA.
#8 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148
You all Rock....thank you all very much. Leaning at Mainland, HK and Macau, and leaving Thailand, Nam, and Spore for 2015. Side note...... funding for this comes from Buying LVS in 2009 @ $7...watching Adelson finish the most amazing Resort on Earth...Marina Bay Sands in Spore ...and his vision of the build out of the Cotai Strip in Macau. Buy and hold is NOT DEAD! LoL....
Thank you all ....very encouraging.
#9 Mike5522 has been a member since 4/8/2013. Posts: 3