Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

HELP!! Itinery advice (3 weeks Indochina)

Posted by emsylee on 19/7/2007 at 21:39

Hello! As a first time traveller to Vietnam, Cambodia & Laos, I'm looking for some expert advice on my itinery idea. Flying from London via Hong Kong so that we can spend NY there on the way home.

I'm not sure about the length of time scheduled in each place and don't want to be rushed off my feet but its so hard to decide which places to go and which to leave out!! Any help would be greatly appreciated! and would love to hear from anyone who has spent christmas in Laos or NY in HK!

12 December- Early Flight London to HK (11hrs 50m/ 12hrs) & HK-HCM (2hr 35m)
13 December- HCM city
14 December- HCM city
15 December-HCM city
16 December – Travel HCM city to PP (Boat? / Vietnam Airline 50ms)
17 December-PP
18 December- PP
19 December- Travel PP to SR (Express boat-5/6 hours)
20 December- SR
21 December – SR
22 December- Fly SR to LP (Laos Airlines -3hr 25m)
23 December- LP
25 December - LP (Christmas day)
24 December- LP
26 December – LP
27 December- Flight LP to Hanoi (Vietnam Airlines -1hr 10ms)
28 December- Hanoi
29 December- Early Flight to HK (Cathay Pacific, Vietnam Airline- 1hr 50m)
30 December- HK
31 December – HK (NY Eve)
1 January- HK
2 January- Travel home

#1 emsylee has been a member since 17/7/2007. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 20/7/2007 at 10:10 admin

Hi Emma,

Looks ok to me -- all those flights make for a bit of an exhausting trip, but you shouldn't have too many problems time-wise.

For the Saigon to Phnom Penh leg, I'd suggest shaving a day off either your time in Saigon or Luang Prabang, and head south into the Delta -- for an overnight stay in Can Tho. From there you can do a great river-trip the following morning (get started by 5am -- just arrange it with one of the old women on the waterfront - they'll find you -- the night before).

When you're done there, get a bus that afternoon to Chau Doc (on the Khmer border) and catch the boat to Phnom Penh the following morning.

Have fun!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,652
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.