Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Philippines - Malaysia - Thailand + HongKong in 7 weeks

Posted by ekze on 5/9/2013 at 02:41

Hello Fellow travelers,
There is loads of information on Travelfish.org but I wanted to get some subjective opinion from you. We are spending 48 days if precise in Asia and I would really appreciate your suggestions and help with this
In 9 of Feb. we ( me and my girlfriend ) land in Shanghai ( we have been here last year, but we want to spend a day here to accumulate long 15h flight + we need other airport. so we fit for 72h VoA )
2 - 3 days Hong Kong (I would like to visit HongKong as one of my friends live there )
2 - 3 days Cebu ( might visit chocolate hills, Donsol )
5-7 days Puerta Princesa/El Nido ( underground river, Beach and tour to the hidden ones )
2-4 days Manila and around ( not sure if it deserves 2, 4 or maybe 6 days )
5-6 days in Bali ( I will go with Travelfish guidelines )
2 days Kuala Lumpur
2 days Singapure
x Days somewhere haven`t searched what to do as for Thailand we can have only 14 days ( limit for VoA )
2-3 Days Bangkok ( should we have more days ?
4-6 Days Chang Mai and Province.
x Days some where else ( maybe Krabi or Phi Phi )

We would appreciate your comments and ideas,
Also is it too much planning or it`s ok? One thing is we don`t want to rush too much and also be on the road all the time.
Cheers and have a wonderful day

#1 ekze has been a member since 5/9/2013. Location: Latvia. Posts: 6
 Instagram 

Posted by goonistik on 5/9/2013 at 08:11

Your travel plans for Cebu/Visayas region are rather impractical. You'd be constantly on the move. It is possible to make a day trip to Bohol from Cebu. Bear in mind the best time to see the Chocolate Hills are sunrise/early morning or late afternoon/sunset when the shadows make for a more dramatic view.

Donsol is in a different province on the island of Luzon. You need to take a plane from Cebu to Legazpi city and than travel overland to Donsol. Oslob in Cebu has whale sharks as well. The ethical issue in Oslob (which I hope has been dealt with) is the way the local fishermen feed the whale sharks. I am presuming that you are interested in Donsol because of the whale sharks. But Cebu/donsol/Chocolate hills you'll need more than 2-3 days.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/428527/oslob-urged-to-stop-feeding-whale-sharks

Manila..hmmm..lots of people don't like it and I can understand why. 2-3 days is enough..if you like culture and history. I suggest you give Intramuros a look as well as the nearby Chinatown. The National Museum is worth a trip.

#2 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 562
 Where has goonistik been? 

Posted by ekze on 5/9/2013 at 08:32

thanks, goonistik for your reply
Ok, yes Donsol because of Whale sharks, So thanks for info about Oslob. :)

About Manila I have heard same story but as I thought about it as a pit-stop before heading to Malaysia I could also cut off part or at all Manila part and go to KL through Kota Kinabalu.

#3 ekze has been a member since 5/9/2013. Location: Latvia. Posts: 6
 Instagram 

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 5/9/2013 at 09:29

Do you really like cities? You've got quite a few on your list. I'm not a fan of KL and Singapore is expensive nowadays. Thailand gives 30 days without a visa if you arrive by air. Bangkok is a great city IMO and better than the other SEA cities. Krabi is a great place to visit for things like kayaking and snorkelling.

#4 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by ekze on 6/9/2013 at 01:56

I like cities but in this case they are because of flexibility as Manila, Bangkok, KL is as a hub for further travel. For Thai are you sure about 30 days i have found that only 15 day visa on arrival as I don`t want to send to apply for visa my passport and other staff as we don`t have embassy in Latvia.

I hate planning as i know we have to skip something breathtaking because of time frame we have. I`m ok to skip Singapore as I believe it`s a little similar to HK and KL so now we have even more free days which I don`t know where to fit.
My plan B was take only to countries Philippines and Thailand but that still means we spend 14 days in Thai and 30 in Philippines

#5 ekze has been a member since 5/9/2013. Location: Latvia. Posts: 6
 Instagram 

Posted by antoniamitchell on 6/9/2013 at 02:10

Hi,
I'd suggest you add in Penang (in place of SIN or KL) - it has a lot more character than a big city like KL (which is very westernised).
Have fun!

#6 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Location: Singapore. Posts: 499
 Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 6/9/2013 at 12:17

Dunno about Latvia. Most people get 30 but maybe you don't.

#7 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by Captain_Bob on 6/9/2013 at 12:59

"For Thai are you sure about 30 days i have found that only 15 day visa on arrival as I don`t want to send to apply for visa my passport and other staff as we don`t have embassy in Latvia."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Thailand
Latvians either get 15-day VOA or have to apply for tourist visa beforehand.

#8 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,902

Posted by goonistik on 7/9/2013 at 19:53

I really recommend Carlos Celdran's walking tours if you go to Manila. Check his blog next year to book a slot.

http://celdrantours.blogspot.com/

As Carlos Celdran says, "You can't change the city, but you can change the way you view the city."

#9 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 562
 Where has goonistik been? 

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 8/9/2013 at 19:59

Or you could just go to an island instead and have a more attractive environment around you.

#10 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by ekze on 9/9/2013 at 08:15

Yeah,
first thanks for your suggestions and sharing,
second i`m the person who gives any city a chance as i like to check all things myself and rate on my scale :) so I might give Manila also a chance :)

I`ll consider Penang as one of my stops.

#11 ekze has been a member since 5/9/2013. Location: Latvia. Posts: 6
 Instagram 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.