Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Ecotourism in SE Asia

Posted by albertojrcp on 12/9/2013 at 16:00

Hey guys,
I'm going to Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and maybe Laos. I'd like to do the regular tourism but I would also like to hike and do some (if not a lot of) ecotourism. Do you guys have any recomendations that you can give me?
Thanks in advance

#1 albertojrcp has been a member since 5/9/2013. Posts: 3

Posted by amnicoll on 14/9/2013 at 08:27

Chi Phat in Cambodia I have given a link to homestays below which includes Chi Phat

http://cambodianhomestays.webs.com/apps/links/

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 686

Posted by Captain_Bob on 14/9/2013 at 13:37

http://www.ecotourismlaos.com

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,891

Posted by somtam2000 on 14/9/2013 at 19:12 admin

Ecotourism can be set-up in some pretty un-eco manners, but here are some good starting points that we've covered.

GibbonX in northern Laos
Trekking in the Cardamons, Cambodia (Chi Phat mentioned above)
Elephant riding in Cambodia - should you?
Saving Vietnam's bears
Eco tour or no eco tour: Some questions to ask

Hope that helps.

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,566
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by MADMAC on 15/9/2013 at 09:13

Calling yourself an eco tourism company is a marketing ploy. Regardless of whether or not your company tries to work with the ecology, tourism is good for bringing foreign capital into a country and puts stressors on its environment. Not to mention air travel is obviously off setting anything you might otherwise be doing environment wise. Any tourist who is really concerned about the environment doesn't fly - he sticks to his own neck of the woods or travels very slowly (which most people don't have the time to do). Not trying to be cynical, but let's be honest with ourselves here.

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 16/9/2013 at 08:47

Just look at Mr Gore. Flies all over the place selling his climate scam.

When I see "Ecotourism" or "Health retreat" I wonder if the prices have been increased by 300% or 400% over there true worth.

If you want something off the beaten path without the hype I'd suggest Ubon/Khong Chiam in the east and up north check up Phayao or Nan. Down south check out Trang.

#6 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.