Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Where to stay in Bangkok - 1st trip to Thailand/SEA

Posted by sunnylegs on 17/9/2013 at 22:46

I am starting in Bangkok and traveling SEA for 4 months. Getting out of corp america and taking a break!

I am looking for a nice place to stay in Bangkok for a few nights that is in a good location, safe (single female) but easy to get around to see the sights. I am flexible on timing and budget.

Any suggestions welcome... plan to head up to Chiang Mai and play it by ear but definately hit the islands and see some elephants :)

Thanks!
M

#1 sunnylegs has been a member since 11/9/2013. Posts: 5

Posted by MADMAC on 18/9/2013 at 01:35

"good location" depends on your definition of that. Assuming you are just interested in the tourist related stuff ("see the sights") then I would think Chinatown would work for you. A friend of mine likes the Grand China Hotel there. You can get a room for about 50 bucks a night.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by altmtl on 18/9/2013 at 02:57

I would stay near a skytrain or metro line - The area around Asoke/Sukhumvit
is one of my favs. https://www.travelfish.org/accommodation/thailand/bangkok_and_surrounds/bangkok/sukhumvit/all

Staying in Chinatown is not a bad idea and you're not so far from the train station, but vey little in but keep un mind that the train tracks to Chiang Mai are in repair for the next 45 days so if you were considering the night train you'll have to switch to a bus at one point. http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/transport/369698/rail-service-from-uttaradit-to-chiang-mai-to-end-monday

#3 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992
 Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 18/9/2013 at 09:29

Just pick a nice hotel on the skytrain. See agoda/tripadvisor

#4 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by daawgon on 18/9/2013 at 10:37

You really need to state your budget - makes a BIG difference. I really like to be near the river and prefer the smaller hotels or B&B's. I think you might like the Baan Dinso Boutique Hostel - not your usual hostel at all, this is mostly private rooms, but does have some without private bath. Have a look here - in the Old City near KSR and Chinatown.

#5 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,112

Posted by roro1990 on 18/9/2013 at 11:55

If you plan on heading to the backpacker area (khao san road), there's a nice place that I booked there called nappark. It got very good reviews. Looking forward to seeing it for myself :)

#6 roro1990 has been a member since 9/8/2013. Posts: 38

Posted by sunnylegs on 18/9/2013 at 17:47

Thanks for the great suggestions all!

To clarify a couple comments:

By good location I mean easy to get around or to the train. A view would be great and as for budget, I have not problem paying upwards of $200 US which sounds like a ton in Thailand and not sure what "nice" is for $50/night. Bottom line, I am open to anything that is nice, convenient and will be able to meet other travelers. I like the idea hostel as a way to be with other solo travelers and the Baan Dinso Boutique Hostel looks really nice and your right, not my idea of a typical hostel but looks great. (Nice find daawgon)

Since I am traveling solo going to play it by ear when I get there as to my exact next destination I think being around other travelers/backpackers is attractive. The thought of a nice hotel with a pool, spa and gym sounds nice too but not sure where travelers stay for something like that are not traveling for business.
I have been looking at so many places to go and really want to speak to others before making set plans.
From what I've read, flexibility is key and I am not any schedule (which is the point!)

Thanks for the train tip up to CM also.. may have to fly if not up and running by the time I get there but I may luck out since I arrive Oct. 29th.

#7 sunnylegs has been a member since 11/9/2013. Posts: 5

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.