Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

3 weeks in Thailand and Malaysia

Posted by indiepops on 18/9/2013 at 12:42

Hi all,
Myself and my Daughter will be traveling to SE Asia in Febuary, the trip plans go like this;
BKK, 2 nights in dusit district then go north west 150km to a home stay for 4 nights.
Back to BKK take the night train to Koh Phangan for 5 nights.
Take the night train from Surat Thani to Butterworth ( time of ferry to get the 01;26 train ??)
Penang for 5 nights and take in the Thaipusam there.
Train to KL for 2 nights and fly home from there.
Any Thoughts anyone??

#1 indiepops has been a member since 18/9/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 18/9/2013 at 19:48

2n Bangkok isn't much. 3n would be better. Homestay? How did you find this? I'd recommend a tour to Kanchanaburi and Erawan waterfalls and 1-2 nights on the river out there.

Thai homes aren't that interesting to be honest.

Train doesn't go anywhere near Koh Pha Ngan. KPN is an island. KPN has nice beaches but there's not much to do. I prefer Krabi/Trang both of which have airports and Air Asia and Nok have cheap flights. Taking trains/buses over long distances is very slow in Thailand and when you have limited time (i counted 18 nights not 3 weeks) you don't want to spend too much time in transit.

You can travel by boat from Trang to Malaysia which is much more scenic:

http://www.tigerlinetravel.com/frontpage

You can do the train bit in Malaysia or in Kanchanaburi.

#2 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by indiepops on 19/9/2013 at 04:47

Hi,
Thanks for that.
The homestay is a guest house north of kanchnaburi very near to water falls etc so we will be seeing all you have mentioned whilst there.
The train goes to Surat Thani, we will get the ferry from there (I know its an Island) I thought koh phangan would be nice as there is a nice jungle interior as well as lovely beaches.
As for flying, not really my thing to do that, I prefer the more eco option of traveling by train overnight (thats the other 3 nights) gets me where Im going whilst sleeping, perfect!

Anyone been to Thaipusam in Penang?

#3 indiepops has been a member since 18/9/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 19/9/2013 at 09:49

KPN has nice beaches but inland there isnt much. They have a waterfall but it's the size of a tap.

Flights in Thailand cost about $40-50.

#4 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by somtam2000 on 19/9/2013 at 19:52 admin

@indiepops - we don't have anything specific to the Thaipusam festival in Penang, but do have a few more general pieces on it here, here and here.

Agree with choice of Ko Pha Ngan - it's a great island.

#5 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by stephen11 on 20/9/2013 at 04:24

Hi sounds like you have a plan and it's good. BKK has a lot, worth checking out this site 4 what interest you. Be careful in Surathani lots of hustlers in the south. Good Luck an have fun in land of smile .

#6 stephen11 has been a member since 19/12/2012. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.