Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

SE Asia - 3~4 months ~ Advice

Posted by berraseski on 26/9/2013 at 11:25

Hi all,

I have been reading through this forum for a week or two now using the search function alot! I have read some great posts and have gathered some excellent travel advice to prepare me!

The hard task now is piecing all this together! I know you're most likely saying another budget/itinerary post not again but i have used the search function and have scapled through various topics here and else where!

MY trip!

The plan so far is to travel SE Asia over 3 to 4 months - Leaning more towards the 4 months as we don't want to make the mistake of rushing things.

Budget - $10,000 AUS - Im still confused as to whether this will be enough as myself and my mate are fairly big party animals.
- $10,000 each, excluding Flights.

Thoughts?

I have have a basic itinerary in mind but i guess things are always flexible!

Bangkok
Surat Thani /Islands
Koh Samui
Koh Phangan
Krabi
Koh Phi Phi
Koh Lanta
Bangkok
Siem Reap
Lopburi
Sukhotthai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Rai
Pai
Vientiane
Vang Vieng
Ha Tien
Can Tho
Ho Chi Minh
Vung Tau
Mui Ne
Da Lat
Nha Trang
Hoi An
Hue
Ha Noi
Halong City
Lao Cai
Sapa
Mandalay
Bagan
Inle Lake
Yangon
Bangkok

I'm unsure on what time frames i should me having in each place so some advice would be great... As i said earlier this isn't set in stone so if we enjoy one place more then another we will compensate...

Some advice would be great on what plans i have so far...

Have i crammed to much in or?
Is the budget do-able? Not healthy enough?

Thanks for all the advice so far everyone and i'm looking forward to making lots of new friends along the way! :D

#1 berraseski has been a member since 26/9/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by Geer1 on 27/9/2013 at 10:02

You need at least a month in Thailand for that itinerary maybe 5 or 6 weeks if you plan on spending a lot of time partying on islands. If you go to Laos don't miss Luang Prabang (maybe forgot to put it on list), 1 week to 10 days should be good enough for a simple trip to Laos like that. Your Vietnam itinerary will need 5-6 weeks as well. I know little of Burma but guessing 10-14 days.

Overall probably need closer to the 4 months to see all these places. Make sure you do a little research on the path you wan to take to see these things. For example it makes a lot more sense to go Chiang Mai - Pai - Chiang Mai - Chiang Rai - Chiang Khong/Huay Xai - Luang Prabang and it will be cheaper as well.

10000 AUD is ~ 9300 USD. Divide that by 4 months and you get $78 per day which should be lots even if you plan on partying almost every day. For example I am a budget traveller and I did Thailand-Laos-Cambodia-Vietnam in just under 4 months and only spent $6200 for everything including flights to and from Canada, visas, health insurance etc.

#2 Geer1 has been a member since 14/9/2012. Posts: 540
 Send Geer1 a private message   Where has Geer1 been? 

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 27/9/2013 at 12:03

34 destinations includ bkk a few times. That should take you about 6 months.

I'd cut it back to 15-20 places.

It's more fun to have 5-8 nights in places.

$2,000 a month is enough.

#3 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148
 Send LeonardCohen1 a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.