Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Vino!

Posted by bmovieneil on 27/9/2013 at 07:04

Hi all - i was just wondering if anyone had experience of what the wine situation is in SE Asian countries?
I will quite happily sup away at any old beverage but my wife does enjoy a glass of vino so I was wondering how widely available it is, whether it is any good and if it is majorly costly to drink? We travelled around India a few years ago and lets just say we didn't find it to be the greatest wine country in the world...

#1 bmovieneil has been a member since 27/9/2013. Posts: 4

Posted by Captain_Bob on 27/9/2013 at 08:52

Tax on wine in Thailand is high (400%) so a decent bottle can run $20-40 or more and in restaurants about $3-5/glass. There are good wine shops in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket, etc. so availability isn't a big problem in those areas. But Thais generally don't know jack about wine so you're kind on your own to pick the right stuff. Have a look here for examples of price and selection. http://www.wineconnection.co.th

In Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam there is the benefit of being former French colonies so there is more of an appreciation of it, and there's some decent quality and prices better than in Thailand. Plenty of wine shops in Vientiane and Luang Prabang for example, and many of the western-style restaurants stock good vintages.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,903

Posted by bmovieneil on 27/9/2013 at 09:55

thank you for the reply - much appreciated. I think i may have to start training her to drink beer :)

#3 bmovieneil has been a member since 27/9/2013. Posts: 4

Posted by daawgon on 27/9/2013 at 12:53

SEA is beer country! The available local wines are crude at best. Yes, you can get premium wines in the large cities, but you'll pay for the privilege.

#4 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,113

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 28/9/2013 at 00:34

Red wine is better in cold climates. Thailand is very humid even at night.

#5 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by goonistik on 29/9/2013 at 01:46

For the Philippines.

There is a good selection of wine at reasonable prices in Metro-Manila. I have ordered from here

http://www.sommelierselection.info/

They bring in lesser-known but excellent wines from France. Brumms is the source for German wines. Italian wines..I'm not that sure. maybe Galileo Enoteca? Than for Spanish wines it would be Barcino.

Lots of Chilean wine and Australian/NZ wine in the department stores and supermarkets.

The other big cities like Cebu should have decent offerings.

#6 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 562
 Where has goonistik been? 

Posted by goonistik on 29/9/2013 at 01:47

For the Philippines.

There is a good selection of wine at reasonable prices in Metro-Manila. I have ordered from here

http://www.sommelierselection.info/

They bring in lesser-known but excellent wines from France. Brumms is the source for German wines. Italian wines..I'm not that sure. maybe Galileo Enoteca? Than for Spanish wines it would be Barcino.

Lots of Chilean wine and Australian/NZ wine in the department stores and supermarkets.

The other big cities like Cebu should have decent offerings.

#7 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 562
 Where has goonistik been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.