Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Advice 4 weeks in South East Asia

Posted by system243trd on 30/9/2013 at 12:34

My wife and I are spending 4 weeks in south east asia. We are looking at doing Hong Kong for 3 nights, Bangkok for 2 nights and the rest in Vietnam.

I know we are not spending much time in each place but the way the cost of flights work out this seems like the best route.

Can anyone offer advice?

#1 system243trd has been a member since 30/9/2013. Posts: 5

Posted by daawgon on 30/9/2013 at 12:53

I would do either one of these options:

A - add 1-2 days to Bangkok

or

B - spend the entire 4 wks in Vietnam

(it would help if you gave us more info - ages, interests, month of travel, budget)

#2 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,133
 Send daawgon a private message 

Posted by Geer1 on 30/9/2013 at 13:10

If I am understanding this correctly he would like to spend more time in Bangkok but the plane ticket price is much more the following days.

If so maybe consider flying into Bangkok at the end of your trip and flying home from there. Flying out of Bangkok may be cheaper then Vietnam.

Or as daawgon said just scratch Bangkok. Bangkok has little to offer for 2 days and you will see similar sights in Vietnam.

#3 Geer1 has been a member since 14/9/2012. Posts: 540
 Send Geer1 a private message   Where has Geer1 been? 

Posted by system243trd on 30/9/2013 at 13:58

I have visited Bangkok but my wife hasn't visited.

I would like to spend 4 weeks in Vietnam but I notice that most people travel North to South and the way the flights work out with costs and times its worth visiting either Bangkok or Hong kong first.

If we visit Hong Kong we can get an Air Asia flight to Bangkok then Hanoi for £110 whereas flying directly Hong Kong to Hanoi with Vietnam airlines is £234. I know we don't get much time in each place but I think visiting these places and spending a short amount of time is better than not visiting at all.

I'm stuck in a dilemma - what do I do???

#4 system243trd has been a member since 30/9/2013. Posts: 5

Posted by Geer1 on 30/9/2013 at 14:06

So you are only really considering adding Bangkok and Hong Kong because of flight costs into and out of Vietnam?

If so what you should consider is flying round trip to either Ho Chi Minh or Hanoi and purchasing 1 way flight from the other back in time to catch your return flight. Jetstar does Ho Chi Minh to Hanoir for roughly $80 and you will save a substantial amount booking a round trip flight.

#5 Geer1 has been a member since 14/9/2012. Posts: 540

Posted by system243trd on 30/9/2013 at 14:09

Not really, I would like to visit Hong Kong but there is no cheap option to fly from Hong Kong to Hanoi. Air Asia is the cheapes and because it stops in Bangkok I thought it may be worth spending a few nights there.

#6 system243trd has been a member since 30/9/2013. Posts: 5

Posted by Geer1 on 30/9/2013 at 14:18

That is a personal decision(ie is the extra money and seeing Bangkok worth losing the 2 days in Vietnam) that only you can answer.

One other option you may or may not have considered is flying round trip to/from Hong Kong(not sure if you were thinking this or not). Might offset price difference. Instead of 2 one way flights between Hong Kong and Vietnam you could even consider a return flight to either Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh and a Jetstar flight fill in the gap. That may very well be the cheapest way.

#7 Geer1 has been a member since 14/9/2012. Posts: 540

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 30/9/2013 at 19:26

2 nights in Bkk isn't enough. I'd do 4 nights BKK and 1 night via a tour to Kanchanaburi.

That still leaves 3 weeks for Vietnam which is plenty.

#8 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148
 Send LeonardCohen1 a private message 

Posted by Geer1 on 30/9/2013 at 20:20

It depends on how of Vietnam he wants to discover. 3 weeks is no where near enough to see most of what Vietnam has to offer, 4 weeks is even tight and would likely mean missing something(I did close to 4 weeks and had to skip Sapa).

#9 Geer1 has been a member since 14/9/2012. Posts: 540

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.