Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Laos Cambodia and Thailand in 30 Days

Posted by wormann on 4/10/2013 at 12:10

My husband and I are starting to plan a one month or so trip of Laos, Cambodia and Thailand. I think we would like to end our trip in Thailand relaxing on a nice beach before we have a 20+ plane ride back to the states. I am trying to decide on where to fly into, Laos or Cambodia and how to map out a rough outline of our route. I am all over the place confused at the moment of how to approach this so any suggestions or rough itineraries people could suggest would be so helpful. My though was to start North in Laos and work down but still completely unsure. Any suggestions on ways to start? Also any great apps out there people are using to plan or map their future trips?
Also I see a lot of people saying that this might not be enough time? We just did 40 days in India and did the North and the South and while we did move a lot it was awesome to see so much. However we could take overnight trains there to cut down on a lot of long distance travel and that is not the case in SEA so I can understand why maybe all three countries would be better spent with more time??
Any advice is welcomed

#1 wormann has been a member since 4/10/2013. Posts: 4

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 4/10/2013 at 12:42

Depends what you want to see and do. Read this site.

#2 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148
 Send LeonardCohen1 a private message 

Posted by JaiYen88 on 4/10/2013 at 13:22

It's doable in a month but you will be rushing if you want to see more than 5 or 6 locations. If you can afford it, flying is the best way to reduce travel times. Do you have any specific locations in mind that you would like to see? I imagine Luang Prabang, Vientiane , Siem Reap , Phnom Penh , Bangkok and then one Thai island are on the itinerary? It is possible to fly between all of these locations (and Siem Reap to Phnom Penh is only 6-7 hours by bus). Alternatively, you are looking at 12 - 14 hour bus rides between destinations in Lao, and night trains in Thailand.

You could think about flying to Vientiane from Bangkok, bus from Vientiane to Luang Prabang, fly from LP to Siem Reap (Lao airlines do a direct flight), bus from SR to PP, fly or bus from PP to Bangkok, then fly or train south to the islands.

If you reduce your stay in, say, Vientiane and Phnom Penh to 2 days each, while staying 4 - 5 days in the other spots, then you will probably be able to squeeze in another destination such as Chiang Mai or Krabi. It all depends on what your interests are really, but these are some of the 'top' destinations in the 3 countries.

#3 JaiYen88 has been a member since 25/4/2012. Posts: 110
 Send JaiYen88 a private message 

Posted by wormann on 4/10/2013 at 15:00

JaiYen88 Thanks for the advice. I have just begun to sift through information on this site and read up on similar posts from others. For us coming from the states it will cost a lot for us to get over there so we want to see as much as possible of course but without overdoing it too much. We aren't planning this trip just to take in a beautiful beaches but that doesn't mean we need to be on the go every day either. I like the advice of looking into domestic flights to cut down on travel time if they are affordable which many on this site are saying so that is good to know! I am reading up on other posts similar to this to see suggested itineraries to get a better feel of what is doable. We have plenty of time to plan so I was just seeing what people thought and how they link these different countries together. We are not adverse to living out of a suitcase for most of the time and then ending somewhere real nice and living it up and relaxing there for a while before we head back home. We like a happy medium =-)

#4 wormann has been a member since 4/10/2013. Posts: 4

Posted by somtam2000 on 4/10/2013 at 18:45 admin

What time of the year is your trip? The weather will govern a lot of useful advice...

#5 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,652
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by wormann on 4/10/2013 at 21:34

We are both teachers ( art and music) so we have to travel in July and Aug... while not the most ideal still doable from what I know???

#6 wormann has been a member since 4/10/2013. Posts: 4

Posted by Geer1 on 4/10/2013 at 22:37

Here is a recent similar thread in which I give some ideas.

#7 Geer1 has been a member since 14/9/2012. Posts: 540
 Send Geer1 a private message   Where has Geer1 been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.