Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Motorcycle tour logistics

Posted by luket on 10/10/2013 at 22:34

Hi all, My wife and i leave in 10 days for a 90 day southeast asia motorcycle tour and we still have some unanswered questions about logistics

Our plan has been to start our trip in Hanoi, buy a motorcycle, tour around Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia, then make out way west into Thailand and around the gulf, head through Malaysia and end up in Singapore.

Out top choice is to purchase a bike in Vietnam, get licensed and registered, then sell the bike in Malaysia.

Does anyone know if it is possible to sell a foreign motorcycle in Malaysia as a foreigner? i would imagine there is a tax, or penalty if we leave the country without it.

Another option would be to sell our bike in Saigon before heading into Thailand, then get another bike there to go through Thailand. However, I have heard it is difficult to buy a bike in Thailand, does anyone have experience?

We would definitely prefer to do this whole trip as a one-way drive and on one bike, does anybody have a suggestion on this? If we get the bike all the way from Vietnam to Malaysia, we wouldn't be opposed to donating it or giving it to a farmer. Does anyone know if they would still hit us with a fee to get out of the country?

#1 luket has been a member since 10/10/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by Captain_Bob on 11/10/2013 at 05:56

Sorry, you won't be able to legally buy/register/ride a bike in Vietnam. You must have a Vietnamese license first and they are only given to long-term residents. But many people buy bikes (illegally) without registration then sell them later. You'd have a pretty hard time selling it in another country, especially Malaysia and no way in Singapore. It's easier to buy a bike legally in Thailand, but again there is a penalty for taking it over a border and not returning (equivalent to the assessed value of the bike). It's not like Europe where you can drive a vehicle more or less everywhere. I suggest you pay a visit to which is an open forum to discuss riding around SE Asia.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,950

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code

Posted by luket on 11/10/2013 at 11:07

Thanks for the response bob. Ive done some research and I'm pretty sure my three month visa will allow me to get a driving license. Then for registration the vt gov't give foreigners a 'blue card' which gives them permission to ride a local's bike.

Do u think would be a fine for giving away the bike in Malaysia?

#3 luket has been a member since 10/10/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by Captain_Bob on 11/10/2013 at 11:59

Good job doing your research. I just kind of doubt you'll be able to register the bike legally in your name, in which case it's pretty much a cash&carry deal with no receipt, you may have to grease some palms when crossing borders and random police checkpoints, and it will be impossible (or at least) difficult for the recipient in Malaysia to likewise register it in their name. But maybe they won't care, probably appreciate the gift. Best place might be Johor Bharu, right before crossing the causeway to Singapore. Good luck!

#4 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,950

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.