Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

2 months in Cambodia and Thailand starting March

Posted by Dafinder on 16/10/2013 at 23:27

So my friend and I are planning a 2 month trip through Cambodia and Thailand starting in March. We are planning to start in Siem Riep and travel to Sihanoukville , spend around 10 days in Sihanoukville and then go to Phnom Penh and fly to Phuket where we go north through Thailand and end up in Chiang Mai and return to Bangkok to head home. Wanted to get some ideas about the following:

1. Should about $4000/per person cover this trip's expenses (Flights to Cambodia and out of Thailand excluded)?
2. Should we make a stopover in Singapore? If so how long?
3. Any thoughts/suggestions on a travel route? What's the "best route?" Any tips for first timers in Thailand?
4. Best way to have access to cash? I read about the added fees in Thailand in addition to my bank's own fees, so what should I do about money?

Thanks for all the advice!

#1 Dafinder has been a member since 16/10/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by amnicoll on 18/10/2013 at 05:33

budget will depend on where you wish to stay and what you want to spend your money on. Check out the accomodation pages on this site for hotel prices. In theory this is more than enough

Why do you want to stopover in Singapore? (I assume your plane stops there)
As for route fisrt decide on the places you want to see, then get a map (and train timetable) and apply logic
take US$ cash for Cambodia and mixture of Travellers cheques and Debit card

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 735
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by theloner on 19/10/2013 at 22:18

Agree with above ^^^^ that should be enough cash. Take travelers checks, small American dollars like $10 bills and more than one ATM card and keep them separate. Keep your bags locked at all times in the room, always carry your passport on your body. Never give your passport when renting bikes or whatever. Good idea to make color copies. If they won,t take copies DO NOT rent the bike. Always check your room first and look to see more if the room looks dirty. Some places might try to give you the most broken down room possible. If the staff or owners don,t look friendly that is a bad sign and just move on. PLEASE read the Do's and Don,ts about customs in Southeast Asia. Most don,t bother and that shows the locals that perhaps you don,t care or respect. Be very careful with the taxi's at the airport. Fares should not be over 300 baht to what i would call downtown. The best route just follow everybody else. Chiang Mai, Koh Samui, Khao San Road, Krabi, Koh Phi Phi you get the idea. No drugs period unless you wish to spend years in the Bangkok Hilton and then deported. Don,t get wasted on booze your only asking for trouble. Any more questions?

#3 theloner has been a member since 7/10/2013. Posts: 116

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.