Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Pre book accommodation or not?

Posted by jessica_chant on 25/10/2013 at 05:00

In January I will be travelling south east asia in a group of 5 people. We start in Bangkok. Will it be relatively easy to find accommodation as a group or is it worth trying to pre-book something before we leave? Over 4-5 months we will eventually travel through Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia and Indonesia so obviously we won't be pre booking most of the trip, but are there any places which may be more difficult to find accommodation together?
Thank you in advance,
Jess

#1 jessica_chant has been a member since 16/11/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 25/10/2013 at 07:04 admin

Hi Jessica,

It may be worth booking your first couple of nights in Bangkok just to give you a bit of time to settle in etc, after that is really depends on where you are going and when you'll be there.

Some places, it is a good idea, for example perhaps Ko Lipe or definitely Ko Phi Phi over Xmas and New Years, but other places there is no need.

Here is a story that goes into a bit more depth on the pros and cons of booking online in Southeast Asia.

More questions? Ask away.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,707
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by amnicoll on 26/10/2013 at 05:58

As above it should not be a problem but good advise to book somewhere when you arrive.

The flexibilty is much more valueable, you might not like the place when you arrive, the location may not be ideal, there may be a much nicer cheaper alternative and so on.

So what if for one night you have to stay in different hotels but apart from holidays and festivals that is unlikely

#3 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 757
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by takezo on 14/11/2013 at 04:31

I was just wondering whether you can book accommodation, say, for a few nights and in case you find something nicer, cheaper etc. can simply check out without having to pay a portion of the remaining days.

Thanks

#4 takezo has been a member since 30/9/2013. Posts: 19
 Send takezo a private message 

Posted by somtam2000 on 14/11/2013 at 05:17 admin

@takezo It depends who you book through.

Some online travel agents - eg Agoda Might take 100% upfront - so if you walk away you lose it.

Others eg Hostel world/booking.com ask for a deposit (which is actually their commission) of anywhere from 10-30% again if you walk away you lose that.

Done places will take a booking without a deposit do you can just walk away - but obviously you're leaving them in the lurch.

Hope that helps

#5 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,707
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 14/11/2013 at 08:37

Booking.com is the best - no money upfront. Their prices are as good as any other site as well.

Definately book the first 3 nights. Good hotels are cheaper on the net and Jan is peak season so just turning up could be a problem. Walk in rates are expensive for good hotels.

Online I've paid 1400 baht for a room in a 4 star hotel and walk in they wanted 3300 baht LOL. When I extended my stay I just walked 80m to an internet cafe to get the cheaper price. Crazy really.

#6 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148
 Send LeonardCohen1 a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.