Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Thailand Islands over xmas

Posted by treanoc on 28/10/2013 at 22:51

Hi all

Can anyone recommend where myself and my partner should stay for 2 weeks over Christmas. we arrive in bangok on the 18th December and leave 2 weeks later. We would probably visit 2/3 islands we generally just want a laid back beach/poolside holiday with plenty of choice for day trips/food.bars etc. We are both 27 so while we dont want a crazy party atmosphere we would still enjoy a bit of hustle and bustle! Maybe a large island for a few days then a couples retreat place for another few days!!
I have heard xmas in thailand islands can be crazy busy, are these crowds unbearable? I know the west coast will have the better weather but then will also have the busiest crowds. We are keen to avoid the busiest, most populated places. I have been to Krabi phuket ,phi phi, ko samui and ko phangan before. would welcome trying elsewhere too, really was not fond of Phuket at all!!
Also should we book before we go or will leaving it untill we arrive in bangkok be okay? Any advise is appreciated, as I saidd before I have been before but it was not in peak period so we never had to pre-book accommdation, transportation etc!

#1 treanoc has been a member since 21/4/2010. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 29/10/2013 at 03:45 admin

I'd agree with choosing the west coast --here are some links to other stories on the site that may help in narrowing down your list:

General stories on the Andaman Islands
Andaman Sea Island Hopper
Thai islands for nature lovers
Thai islands to lose yourself on

As for booking in advance, it really depends on the island -- Xmas and New Years could be prudent, but it really depends on the island.

Cheers!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,706
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.