Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Posted by rudder6 on 5/1/2014 at 15:37

Im new to the world of travel, heading out to Bangkok in October and travelling for 6 months. Most information i need is in all of the guides and forums on here but one thing i can seem to find a great deal of info about is what vaccinations i will need before i go or what timescale i should get them before i leave. Can someone point in the right direction please.

Much appreciated

#1 rudder6 has been a member since 11/9/2013. Posts: 12
 Send rudder6 a private message 

Posted by Geer1 on 5/1/2014 at 17:34

You should have Hep A & B, Typhoid and up to date Tetanus. Japanese Encaphalitis and Rabies are optional although most people don't seem to bother with these.

Malaria pills are dependent on specific locations of travel as well as current Malaria situation in those places(main places are jungles in Laos and Cambodia). The use of malaria pills is at your discretion and has benefits and drawbacks, if you don't want to take malaria pills for prevention then you can take some with you for treatment(12 pills of malarone) if you would rather do that. Either way if you get a nasty fever make sure you go to a doctor.

Dengue fever which can be quite bad(believe me, I had it and it wasn't even one the bad strain) and there is nothing you can do but take precautions to avoid mosquito bites.

You may want to take a bottle of travellers diarrhoea pills if you think that might be an issue(with 6 months it could be at some point).

Research those vaccines, Hep A & B in particular require a dosing schedule months in advance(although there is also accelerated schedules too).

#2 Geer1 has been a member since 14/9/2012. Posts: 540
 Send Geer1 a private message   Where has Geer1 been? 

Posted by rudder6 on 14/1/2014 at 13:01

Thanks for the info!! Appreciated

#3 rudder6 has been a member since 11/9/2013. Posts: 12
 Send rudder6 a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.