Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

10-12 month SEA trip. Budget question.

Posted by Arikara1985 on 10/1/2014 at 21:27

I spent 5 weeks this summer in Thailand and Cambodia. I am now planning my trip back. Intend to leave around the middle of August.

Plan is Philippines > Vietnam > Laos > Myanmar > Malaysia > Thailand. Might include Indonesia and Singapore but not sure. Intend to go at a fairly slow place, month in Philippines for example, 4 places for a week each. Even willing to stay in some places longer.

Does $20,000cdn seem reasonable for that for at least 10 months? I'm going to stay in hostels a fair bit (didn't on last trip so I spent more).

Any suggestions?

#1 Arikara1985 has been a member since 14/2/2013. Posts: 32

Posted by Geer1 on 10/1/2014 at 21:50

Should be plenty. Even if you assume $3000 for plane tickets, health insurance and any other overhead expenses that still gives you ~ $56 per day. At 12 months it would be ~$46 per day.

Many people travel south east asia for $30-40and some long term/slow travellers get by on as low as $20(wouldn't recommend this though).

I travelled for around $30 and my trip which was just under 4 months cost me $6200 for everything. 4 months was long enough for me so the only thing I will say is you might get sick of travelling if you go for that long. Make sure you mix it up, splurge every once in a while and spend extra time in places trying to make friends, volunteering etc.

#2 Geer1 has been a member since 14/9/2012. Posts: 540
 Send Geer1 a private message   Where has Geer1 been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.