Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Southeast asia in bycicle!

Posted by Patriciomelende on 11/3/2014 at 22:18

I'm planning on doing the 4 country tour Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam on bicycle, do you think is a good idea? Do you have any advise?

#1 Patriciomelende has been a member since 11/3/2014. Posts: 2

Posted by MADMAC on 11/3/2014 at 23:42

Pedal hard. It's going to be a long trip. I never understood the attraction to this mode of transportion, but clearly it appeals to some. I think it beats the bus...

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 12/3/2014 at 00:54

I wouldn't suggest to do it now or next month. Too hot and smoggy much of the region until rains start (June-ish). Best time for a bicycle tour would be November-February, relatively cool and dry. Get good maps, stay off the main roads as much as possible, allow plenty of time, hydrate like crazy, etc. Oh and don't bring camping gear like many cyclists mistakenly do - doesn't really work here. Stay in cheap guesthouses or some national parks have onsite tents. Happy planning.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,918

Posted by Patriciomelende on 12/3/2014 at 02:35

Thank you for the advise. I wasn't counting to much in the heat problem, I was checking the temperature and is hot crazy. I think I would reconsider doing my trip on bicycle, since I am planning doing it on april.

#4 Patriciomelende has been a member since 11/3/2014. Posts: 2

Posted by MADMAC on 12/3/2014 at 04:05

As Captain Bob alludes to in "stay off the main roads" Thais people in this region are poor drivers. Do not assume they are going to follow the rules of the road and definitely do not assume they are going to yield to bicycle drivers. Drivers here are careless and selfish and that's a generous description. At night there are a LOT of careless, selfish drunk drivers on the roads. Don't ride at night.

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 12/3/2014 at 07:24

A lot of main roads r boring with nothing much to see. I would think a smaller loop.like the udon nong khai loei loop would be better.

#6 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148
 Send LeonardCohen1 a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.