Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

4 Weeks in SEA July/August, £1400?

Posted by KMaywood on 15/3/2014 at 06:59

Hi everyone,

Looking to get a months solo travelling done in SEA, finishing in Hong Kong. I know its not the most ideal time of year but I work in a school so the summer holidays is the only time I can get off!
My Original plan was to start in Bangkok and go through Laos, Vietnam then China but I've seen quite a few route ideas since then so im suffering with a bit of Travelling option overload and i'm not sure which one to take! the only restrictions I have is that I get to Hong Kong with a few days to spare so I can meet with my Brother who lives there and that I will have £1400 to spend once I get off the plane. Do-able?
I'm an Outdoor educator with extensive experience navigating in Foreign/ Extreme terrain and conditions so I don't mind going way off the beaten track if its worth it.

If anyone could point out any good routes to take through any of the countries between Thailand and HKG with that budget and give any tips when travelling through those areas, it would be much appreciated. Cheers!
K

#1 KMaywood has been a member since 15/3/2014. Posts: 2
 Send KMaywood a private message   Where has KMaywood been?   Twitter   Instagram 

Posted by miriam123 on 19/4/2014 at 09:11

1 month is not long enough to travel through 4 countries. Just fly to Hong Kong at the end of your trip.
The cost of a Chinese Visa is £60 for a English person and is not worth it for what could only be a few days. Have you booked flights yet? why not just fly to Beijing and see some of China and its easy to get to Hong Kong from there. China is amazing. If not you could just land n Bangkok and go north Thailand for a week then cross to Laos and fly from there to HongKong. Really would not go through China for only a few days not worth the hassle of the border atall. China is much less visited than Thailand.

"I'm an Outdoor educator with extensive experience navigating in Foreign/ Extreme terrain" - Thailand and Laos are very well travelled and so unfortunately this skill is not very useful.
:)

#2 miriam123 has been a member since 19/7/2013. Posts: 28
 Where has miriam123 been? 

Posted by KMaywood on 21/4/2014 at 05:51

Yeah I was half thinking that. Havent booked the flights yet so a flight in the middle could be a good shout actually. Do you still reckon thats do able with the £1400?
Only threw that in just in case someone said there is an amazing 4 day trek or something like that.
Thanks a lot for your time and help!
K

#3 KMaywood has been a member since 15/3/2014. Posts: 2
 Send KMaywood a private message   Where has KMaywood been?   Twitter   Instagram 

Posted by miriam123 on 21/4/2014 at 09:28

Yes I think so, if you look you can fly from Thailand to Hong Kong for less that £100 if your flexible with dates. Just think about where you want to go because you can fly from north Thailand, Bangkok or Phuket to Hong Kong. I am only saying fly from Thailand because its cheaper than flying from Cambodia/laos etc.
If you were to say go into Cambodia it would be worth traveling back to Bangok to fly.

#4 miriam123 has been a member since 19/7/2013. Posts: 28
 Where has miriam123 been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.