Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Myanmar

Posted by mattocmd on 28/9/2007 at 20:48

I leave next Monday to fly to Bangkok and start my 2-4 month journey through SE asia. I am planning on visiting 4-5 countries there.

Back when I was planning this trip, it included 2-3 weeks in Burma. Current events may now allow for this trip. However, I would still like to go (if I am allowed in). I would love to get footage of some of the demonstrations (if possible).

I am fully aware that it is a dangerous situation, but I would still like to take my chances.

Does anyone know if I will be able to get in? A lot can happen in the next month...I am just wondering if they will deny my visa because I am an American.

#1 mattocmd has been a member since 13/6/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 365

Posted by somtam2000 on 29/9/2007 at 06:39 admin

We've a number of colleagues who have been denied visas now for Burma, and from what I understand no further visas are going to be issued until the situation clears.

It's difficult to be fully aware of the situation given the internet and international telephone systems have been largely shut down.

We've heard from journalist colleagues that it was no coincidence that the only foreign casualty (that we're aware of) was a photo-journalist -- shot through the heart from behind, at point blank range. While your intentions (of filming protests) are admirable, the security situation (at least as it stands at the moment) would make that extremely difficult and very dangerous.

As you say a lot can happen in a month, so perhaps the situation will have improved by the time you're out here.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,568
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.