Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Thailand, Loas, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam itinerarie

Posted by traveltiger on 29/9/2007 at 06:54

I’m heading for SEA for 3 months next month. I would like to roughly follow the Thailand, Loas, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam trip outlined in the suggested itineraries outlined on this site. I would be interested to here from anyone who has done this. perhaps a few pointers on how they got on would help me. I am particularly worried about the Malaria situation. I realize a doctor is the only person that can give you a definitive answer, however what does a doctor in the UK know about SEA that I cant find out on the internet. They are only human after all. I am planning to take Doxycycline from when I cross over to Loas and perhaps stop 4 weeks after I leave Cambodia. How did you deal with this issue and in retrospect do you feel it was the right decision.

#1 traveltiger has been a member since 15/9/2007. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 29/9/2007 at 08:49 admin

Welcome to Travelfish Tiger,

I don't know if you've seen it already, but we've got a feature summarising the malaria situation in SE Asia.

Personally I wouldn't take malarials, instead I'd use a mosquito net, repellent, dress sensibly etc. But if you're more comfortable with the pills, then Doxy is the most common choice -- we list some of the side effects in the above-mentioned feature.

Regarding the trip itinerary, the main thing is to not try to do too much. You've got three months, so that's a good chunk of time, but don't be shy from grabbing a few flights to avoid backtracking. For instance, you can fly from Hanoi to Bangkok with Thai Air Asia for as little as US$40 -- to do the same trip overland would take an absolute minimum of four full days.

That itinerary also barely touches on Thailand, so don't forget to allow for some time there as well. Which reminds me I have to put together some more trip plans for Thailand!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,652
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by rakhee2108 on 30/9/2007 at 06:09

I'm from the UK and for the five weeks we were in Cambodia and Vietnam, the travel clinic recommended we take Doxycycline for the entire trip, which we did. However, due to the drug's side-effects, we met lots of other people who just took sensible precautions (mosquito net, repellent etc) and carried an emergency anti-malarial kit, which was to be taken if the symptoms of malaria were experienced.

#3 rakhee2108 has been a member since 8/3/2007. Posts: 55

Posted by Skowl on 30/9/2007 at 06:28

If you go over land and start out in Bangkok, going through Cambodia, Vietnam, Lao and then back into northern Thailand there shouldn't be any need to backtrack. The only visa that can't be got on entry to the country is the Lao one which you can get in Hanoi before catching a bus or plane (the bus takes ages and is not very pleasant but you´ll see some fantastic landscapes on your way in).

If you're worried about malaria I would advise against Lariam as an anti malaria medication. I got back from Burma weeks ago and I'm still suffering nausea, dizziness and panic attacks. Supposedly Mallarone is just as good but without the nasty side effects.

#4 Skowl has been a member since 10/8/2007. Posts: 5

Posted by Skowl on 30/9/2007 at 06:31

Actually now that I remember I had to get the Vietnam visa in Phnom Phen before crossing the border. Sorry, damn Lariam messing my memory up. Probably.

#5 Skowl has been a member since 10/8/2007. Posts: 5

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.