Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

solo traveller newbie

Posted by bronzy on 18/8/2014 at 06:48

Hello all, I am looking at taking a trip to south east asia from the end of september to mid december.

I would love to visit koh samui or an island similar in that area and vietnam both for an extended stay as i would like to relax and be apart of culture.

I would also like to explore cambodia and laos but not for long periods of time.

I will be travelling by myself (28 yr female) and would love any advice on destinations that you have experienced and stayed on for a few weeks and an itinerary for exploring.

I am so new to this so my post may seem a little wishy washy i have been spending countless hours googling and dreaming up this trip. Any tips also on visa regulations would be greatly appreciated.

#1 bronzy has been a member since 18/8/2014. Location: Australia. Posts: 1

Posted by DLuek on 18/8/2014 at 20:39 TF writer

Your post is very broad. Please ask more specific questions if you want advice. For example, give us a general idea of how long you'll be in each country, and how you plan to enter (especially for Thailand and Vietnam), if you want tips on visa regulations. As for destinations, a handful of my favorites are Ko Jum, Ko Lanta, Ko Lipe, Ko Surin, Sangkhlaburi, Chanthaburi and Bangkok (in Thailand), Hoi An and Sapa (in Vietnam) and Luang Prabang (in Laos). I also really enjoyed Angkor (in Cambodia). But the majority of my experience is in Thailand. If you tell us more about what your interests are, we''ll be better able to give you specific suggestions on places you might enjoy.

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,171
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by MADMAC on 19/8/2014 at 01:44

The Islands are, quite naturally, tourist draws. So it's difficult to go to one and "be part of the culture" if you mean Thai culture. What you have now in these locations is more of a hybrid culture, given the number of tourists running around these places.

If you have your heart set on the ocean / beach, I would recommend Trat. It's not a big tourist draw, so you can have more exposure to Thai lifestyle and Thai people while at the same time be close to the ocean.

Beyond that, I'm with DLuek here. Hard to give good advice without more specifics: likes, don't likes, hobbies, etc.

#3 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.