Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

Can I travel Thailand, Burma and India on €1000 per month?

Posted by roro1990 on 8/2/2015 at 17:39

Hi,

So I recently finished a job I hated and built up some savings from it. I was convinced for a long time I wanted to go to australia on a year long working holiday visa but am now having major second thoughts and thinking that 3 months of travelling might be a better thing to do. Plus by my estimation it'd make less of a dent in my savings than going to Oz and being without a job for 1 or 2 months.

Anyway, my question is firstly does this sound like a good idea, travelling for 3 months instead of going on a working holiday to Oz? And secondly, as per the thread title, can I travel the above 3 countries on this budget for 3 months? Is it possible? I have a flight to BKK booked so im not including that in the cost, nor am I including the price of a flight home

#1 roro1990 has been a member since 9/8/2013. Posts: 38

Posted by amnicoll on 9/2/2015 at 06:22

yes

However where you stay , where and how much you drink, and so on might change the answer and I assume you are flying home from India and not Thailand

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 976

Posted by captainbkk on 9/2/2015 at 23:31

ANYthing is possible. Use brains- your simply asking the wrong Q. ASK HOW/what style can I pay for that money. Also be aware the EUR is very weak at the mo for all those countries-which as such means you get 15-20% less as just 6 month ago for it.
This also will have very much to do with your own lifestyle, willpower to cut expense, ability to adapt (living western means much higher expense here) and likely age. Do the math: 1000 eur=today 36.500 THB, or about daily average of 1200 THB. IF you have enough time to look for them and find them not taken by the millions of competing mainland Chinese: dorm beds sell for FROM 200 bt/N, meals (Thai style: rice+some meat and greens) sell for 35/40 bt. Your most costly habits will be drinking, boozing, going out, entertaining sweet Thai lady girlfriends (or boys), and the inevitable loss due to theft.

#3 captainbkk has been a member since 16/2/2012. Posts: 472

Posted by redpirate427 on 10/2/2015 at 10:15

I brought my work with me on a 4-month trip around Indochina, and while I had a good time, I envied those who gave their undivided attention to the places they were at the moment. I wish I had done the same. I suppose if you live a budget to mid-range lifestyle, $1,000 a month for one person will be more than enough. We got by on about that same amount for 2 pax. (It was a budget trip after all.) But that only worked in Thailand and Cambodia. Burma was more expensive. We covered some of the most popular sites and did the highly recommended activities, but always on the budget end. And we did not really get around a lot.

#4 redpirate427 has been a member since 2/6/2014. Posts: 11

Posted by yuvraj121 on 2/9/2015 at 08:49

Thailand, Burma, and India are the neighboring nations and you can plan and visit all 3 nations in a month or so. India is quite big and you might have to spend much time here. There are many [url=]hotels in bangalore for international guests[/url] and you can as well try local guest houses as well.

#5 yuvraj121 has been a member since 28/10/2014. Posts: 3

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.