Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

3 Months in SE Asia, starting in Bali -> Ending in Singapore: Whats doable?

Posted by Mangosch on 5/3/2015 at 07:24

Hey everyone!

I'm going to travel SE Asia for 3 months, starting beginning of June and ending at the end of August and I have a rough idea of what I want to do and where I want to go and now I'm looking for a feedback and additional ideas/opinions etc. :)

I will be spending the first month in Bali/Lombok for sure. At the end of the first month, June, my girlfriend is joining me in Lombok and we are hiking Mt. Rinjani. Everything after that is not decided yet. We have a couple different ideas:

1. Taking a boat trip to Komodo and further to Flores and spending some time there before heading back to Lombok and making our way to Java and all the way up to Jakarta

2. Skipping Komodo/Flores and heading direction Jakarta right away.

So my first question: How long does it "usually"(I know it's generalized but I'm looking for a rough idea) take to make your way from Bali to Jakarta via Bus etc., assuming you're not rushing and really taking time to explore and go off the beaten track every now and then.

Personally I thought it'll be somewhere around 1 month which leaves us with roughly another month of travelling. Now i'm hesitating to move to far north bc. of the rainy season during August.

Eventually we will have to book a flight to Singapore anyways as our flight back home leaves from there. So another option would be to head to maybe KL after Jakarta and slowely make our way down to Singapore.

Would you simply try to spend more time in Java or where else would you recommend visiting after we have made our way to Jakarta.

I know this is highly dependant on what we want to see/experience etc.
This is our first trip to SE Asia and generally the first time backpacking. We are on a budget of about 4'000 $ for 2/3 months, but also not unhappy if we don't spend as much since we are clearly looking to stay in hostels and homestays and really want to experience the local streetfood too. As to what we are expecting from this journey it's definitely to explore places by ourselves, enjoy the nature and the culture in terms of food/connection to locals if possible etc. However I don't mind spending some time in areas that are a little more touristy every now and then as we both enjoy that too sometimes.

I hope the whole text isn't too confusing and I'm happy for any kind of tip/criticism whatever.

P.S. Excuse the inaccurate language here and there- I'm not a native English speaker:)

#1 Mangosch has been a member since 5/3/2015. Posts: 1

Posted by amnicoll on 6/3/2015 at 05:53

It is a bit like asking how long is a piece of string (sorry) but everything really depends on what you want to see and do on the way and this will determine how long you need. The simple fact is any of your options are all feasible but unless you need to get out of Indonesia (visa) I am not sure why you want to go to KL and head down as there is so much more you could see in Indonesia

I suggest you read up some more and work out you own priorities from the trip and come back with more specific questions

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 923
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by exacto on 7/3/2015 at 09:40

Hi M!

Three months sounds wonderful. With that kind of time to spend, I'd recommend you definitely include Komodo and Flores and a few other out-of-the-way places on your trip, simply because you can. Also, with such a big amount of time, I would only create a very rough itinerary and decide more on where to go once you get there. You may really like some place and decide to stay longer, or not like somewhere you thought would be great and move on sooner.

Have you figured out your visa strategy? Does Indonesia allow citizens of your country to stay for three months at a time, or will you need to get an extension or leave Indonesia and come back?

A side trip to KL and surrounds could be very fun, particularly towards the end of the trip where you would welcome the change. But going in the middle of your trip might help with your visa situation.

I hope that at least helps get you going. Have a great trip. Cheers.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,766
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by jimbojh on 9/3/2015 at 09:52

You mentioned that the reason you don't want to head further north is because of the rainy season. I've got plans to do some travelling in SE Asia at pretty much the same time , and after posting in these forums , gathered it really isn't that big of a deal, with regards to the rain. Yes it will rain, and rain heavily but would still get a lot of sunshine...? Just curious as to why this is putting you off ( more of a talking point really ). Suppose if you're after sunny days every day all day then that's the answer...

#4 jimbojh has been a member since 9/12/2014. Posts: 10
 Send jimbojh a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.