Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

40 days trip from Ho Chi Ming to Singapore

Posted by nowy on 10/3/2015 at 14:47

Hi guys,

Me and my girlfriend are going from Ho Chi Ming to Singapore in June.

We dont have much of a plan just a draft: Ho Chi Ming->Mekong Delta (bus)-> Phnom Penh (boat)-> Siem Reap (bus)-> Bangkok (train)-> Krabi/KohSamui (train)(stay a bit longer)-> Penang(train)-> Malacca (train)-> Singapore

It is our first time going to south east asia and first time for a longer trip so we'd rather take it slowly and easy. Do you have any recommendations regarding itinery? Too rush, or maybe add sth else?

All comments are welcomed, thnks! :)

#1 nowy has been a member since 10/3/2015. Posts: 6

Posted by amnicoll on 11/3/2015 at 07:11

get a guide book read up and come back with specific questions and give us something with which we may be able to use to help such as interests

You are right however to take it slowly, have only a rough plan and go where the fancy takes you

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 931
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by nowy on 11/3/2015 at 13:36

I read up pretty much, guidebook and net. I thought I was quite specific, I was asking if the itinerary is feasible to do without rushing as I know that the distances are quite big? :))

#3 nowy has been a member since 10/3/2015. Posts: 6

Posted by amnicoll on 12/3/2015 at 06:49

It all depends on what you want to stop and see on the way and how long you spend in each- it is of course feasible

#4 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 931
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by antoniamitchell on 13/3/2015 at 00:15

Hi,

You've got 10 places in 40 days, which is a decent rough itinerary, as it gives you an average of 3 days in each place, plus one day for transport between each place. That's not too rushed, but it's also not really "slow and easy" either - it's a decent. middle-of-the-road speed.

I definitely wouldn't attempt to add any more, though, because although some places you may find you only want 2 days in, you're bound to want an extra day in at least a few of those.

#5 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 541
 Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Posted by STEEBEE84 on 14/3/2015 at 13:39

Hi
I did a quite few of these last year, I personally wouldn't spend too long in Saigon its too Crazy(you will get enough of that in Bangkok), If your not already, take the Mekong Delta into Cambodia. save you doubling back on the coach into Saigon that's a big chunk of the day right there, I enjoyed Phnom Penh more than I thought I was going to but I think 2/3 nights would be enough, I don't know how long you plan on staying in Siem reap but if its not already on you itinerary check out the Floating Village, it was my highlight of Cambodia, we caught a plane from Bangkok to Siem Reap so cant comment on that. As for Bangkok there are plenty of things to do there, for whatever your interests are. I took the sleeper train down to Krabi , if I go to Krabi again I will definitely be flying, its quicker and flights are cheap enough to Krabi or Surat Thani(if you chose Samui) if you do stick to the train though beware when booking your tickets, we went to the information desk at the train station, that we found out later was a tourist office. They charged us double the price of 1st class sleeper for a a fan bed with some Thai woman with flatulence.(live and learn eh lol)

Sorry for any spelling mistakes I'm in a bit of a rush to leave work :) any questions PM me

Cheers
Ste

#6 STEEBEE84 has been a member since 1/8/2014. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 25
 Send STEEBEE84 a private message   Where has STEEBEE84 been? 

Posted by MADMAC on 16/3/2015 at 08:16

And make sure your girlfriend is not of the nagging variety. While I was down in Krabi last week, I was watching this German guy being tortured by his girlfriend when he was suppose to be on vacation. He had that look "Why did I bring her?"

#7 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.