Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

3 months travelling SEA - HELP

Posted by saphxo on 10/4/2015 at 09:13

OK basically I have booked a flight to Bangkok in November, I have three months off of work and am planning on travelling a route that goes a little bit like this (I have planned all the difference places but am keeping it fairly rough so as not to bore you all):

Fly to Bangkok, travel North stopping off at various places then heading across into Laos, down through Laos then into Cambodia, through various places in Cambodia then back in Thailand to travel the Southern areas then to Malaysia.

Firstly does this sound like an OK plan? I tried to use other peoples routes as inspiration but tailoring it slightly to the places i'd like to see.

I've planned my budget as £15 a day for food and a bed for the night. I then have £50 a week for activities which i'll use for going on tours etc. Does this sound reasonable? I've also included money separately for buses, boats, trains etc. Tried to roughly cost it out based on my route. (I am OCD with planning!!) I have seen from the forums most people take their cards? and then a little bit of cash incase?

My last question to you all is what sized bag would you recommend from experience? I am a 5'7 woman and am fairly slim...I want to get the balance right between having enough space for all of my things and being able to carry the bloody thing around on my back!

Thank you in advance for answering my millions of questions.

#1 saphxo has been a member since 10/4/2015. Posts: 1

Posted by MADMAC on 11/4/2015 at 06:49

As you plan, do not commit... no hotel reservations on your through legs. No pre-purchased tickets. That way, if you like a place, you can just stay longer.

Both your daily and your activity budget is pretty light. I would plan at least 1,000 baht a day and 5,000 a week for activities. You have to figure in travel will eat part of that "activity" money, and shopping.

As for bag, this is an issue that isn't much of an issue unless you plan to walk from place to place, like Kane in Kung Fu. Otherwise, you are carrying it from the airport carousel to the taxi and from the taxi into the hotel... so if you don't plan to be humping the jungles of South Vietnam looking for Charlie, then carrying it isn't much of an issue.

Have a good trip. Your basic movement plan looks fine.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.