Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

Bangkok to Hoi An for Lantern Festival

Posted by Thomkl1 on 31/7/2015 at 14:34

Hi there,

Me and my 3 friends are travelling to Thailand and Vietnam for the first time next year. Due to meeting up around weddings and other trips we were restricted with the dates we could travel and have therefore already booked our flights to land in Bangkok (BKK) at 09.25 on the 21st Feb 2016.

Now I have just found out that the day we land is the first full moon of the year and that there will be the Lantern Festival happening in Hoi An and I would love for us to experience this!

However, getting from Bangkok to Hoi An in a short amount of time seems impossible! I've read that there are a few direct flights available but I can't find these! I know this may just be because it is so far in advance so I even tried looking for flights departing sooner just to get an idea of cost and travel time but I can't seem to find any. All I can see is indirect flights and the earliest these will get us there is 5pm which is a bit late really, I feel like we wouldn't have time to check in to a hotel/hostel and eat and explore the town and festival properly.

Does anyone have any advice or bright ideas so we don't miss this event!?

Thanks so much! x

#1 Thomkl1 has been a member since 31/7/2015. Posts: 4

Posted by TerroirTravel on 31/7/2015 at 19:24

Are you looking to fly into DaNang? It's only a short taxi from there. Does Hoi An even have an airport?

#2 TerroirTravel has been a member since 1/2/2014. Posts: 76

Posted by Captain_Bob on 31/7/2015 at 23:53

There are no direct flights (Bangkok-Danang). Flight would have to be via HCMC, Siem Reap or Pakse. You won't make it to Hoi An same day. Sorry.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,958

Posted by Thomkl1 on 1/8/2015 at 02:57

Hi, thanks for answering, I feared as much! What a shame! I had read somewhere that they had planned to introduce direct flights from Bangkok into Danang but this obviously hasn't happened yet!

Is anyone aware if this is celebrated anywhere else that we may be able to get to or is it only in Hoi An?

Thanks

#4 Thomkl1 has been a member since 31/7/2015. Posts: 4

Posted by Thomkl1 on 1/8/2015 at 02:58

Hi, thanks for answering, I feared as much! What a shame! I had read somewhere that they had planned to introduce direct flights from Bangkok into Danang but this obviously hasn't happened yet!

Is anyone aware if this is celebrated anywhere else that we may be able to get to or is it only in Hoi An?

Thanks

#5 Thomkl1 has been a member since 31/7/2015. Posts: 4

Posted by antoniamitchell on 1/8/2015 at 03:10

Hi Thomkl1,

While the full moon lantern festival in Hoi An is very pretty, it's not once-in-a-lifetime-amazing enough to stress over, so don't feel too disappointed that you're going to miss it. You'll be seeing lots of other beautiful and exciting things on your trip anyway.

You never mentioned how long your group is going to be travelling in Thailand and Vietnam for - will you be in Vietnam at the time of the next full moon?

#6 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 569

Posted by Thomkl1 on 1/8/2015 at 05:07

Ok, thanks. Maybe one day we'll go back and will see it then.

We are doing 2 weeks in Thailand and 2 weeks in Vietnam, from 21st Feb to 22nd Mar. We are going to see friends who have just moved to Saigon and so we decided while we are there we should extend our trip to see some of Thailand too, I can't wait!

#7 Thomkl1 has been a member since 31/7/2015. Posts: 4

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.