Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

SUPER LAST MINUTE, Help Please :)

Posted by kiminthailand on 14/8/2015 at 05:00

Hello Everyone, I posted in the Thailand forum but this may be a better place. Due to unexpected circumstances, I will have two weeks of travel starting on August 16th. As you can imagine, I am excited but nervous (hence me posting at 3AM) and have been browsing the forum to figure out what I can do in this time. I will be flying in and out of BKK from LAX. I have traveled quite a bit and enjoy fast paced travel - so for something this incredibly short I would like to make the most of it and hopefully get a sampler of some cool places to visit in the region as an indicator for future, longer travels in SE Asia.

I am a female in my late 20s, traveling with my sister who is the same age. We are not into the party scene but would rather see historical sites, nature, interesting museums, cultural/heritage sites including Buddhism related sites, and maybe one or two nice beach destinations (hopefully relaxing, not too crowded, and beautiful). Also, more general recommendations in terms of food, hotels, and activities would also be appreciated.

Thailand will be the starting point and we are totally open to whichever direction is recommended. I know two weeks is very little, but as we are hoping to get a taste of the region we are thinking Cambodia and Laos may be worth the extra flights to check out. However, if there is any other combination involving Thailand and other countries like Myanmar, Indonesia, Malaysia or the above listed then we would love to hear your suggestions (not all of them of course, but maybe Thailand + whatever is feasible, perhaps 1 or 2 additional countries).

SUMMARY: we have two weeks of fast paced travel starting in Thailand but would love to visit other countries in the region and are looking for itinerary suggestions. This is so incredibly last minute and we thank you for your help!

#1 kiminthailand has been a member since 14/8/2015. Posts: 4

Posted by antoniamitchell on 14/8/2015 at 07:26

Well, you can't reliably sort out a Burmese visa in only 2 days, so you can drop that idea immediately.

With only two weeks, I strongly recommend that you don't try and pack in plenty of countries - you will see nothing but airports and cities if you do that (the cool low-key destinations tend to be in the countryside, and take time to get to). Pretty much everyone else on this site will say the same thing, and have said the same thing to a thousand other posters: less is more.

I'd recommend you stick to one country (this Thailand itinerary gives you more than enough to explore for two weeks: https://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/thailand-mountains-and-islands, although if it was me, I'd skip Pai and add in Ayutthaya or Sukhothai instead)

If you absolutely must do two countries, I'd suggest something like:
BKK - Ayutthaya - Chiang Mai - Phnom Penh - Siem Reap - Battambang - BKK
OR
BKK - Surat Thani - Eastern Island of your choice (TF has a page describing the characteristics of all the islands) - Phnom Penh - Siem Reap - somewhere else small in Cambodia - BKK

The some of the hops may require flying via BKK.

#2 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 569

Posted by Gogomobile on 14/8/2015 at 08:33

2 weeks minus 2 days of flights means 2 or 3 places in Thailand. Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Koh Chang. That is heaps.

#3 Gogomobile has been a member since 14/4/2015. Posts: 412

Posted by SBE on 14/8/2015 at 14:24

With just 2 weeks I'd stick to one country too.

It's rainy season at the moment and Ko Chang is likely to be a bit wet. You can see where the driest islands at this time of year normally are on the TF weathermap. Basically you've got the choice between Ko Samui, Ko Tao, Ko Phangan or Ko Samet. It's high season so they'll all be quite full.

https://www.travelfish.org/weather_fish.php

#4 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,055

Posted by kiminthailand on 14/8/2015 at 15:51

Great, thank you so much all of you for the advice! I will stick to a few cities. My goal was not so much a thorough and relaxing trip - I am more interested in getting a broad view of the area since I plan to spend more time there in the future. However, you guys convinced me to just stick to a few places and enjoy it. Thanks :)

#5 kiminthailand has been a member since 14/8/2015. Posts: 4

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.