Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

Sabah, Malaysia vs the Visayas, Philippines for one week. Which to go to?

Posted by Yannick85 on 22/8/2015 at 08:26

Hi all,
I will be travelling to Asia in the last two weeks of October. The first week I will be in Hong Kong for the wedding of a good friend.
The second week (six days including travel time actually) I have decided to travel solo in the region. I have narrowed down my choices of destination to either, Kota Kinabatuin Sabah, Malaysia, or to Cebu in the Visayas, Philippines. I'm having a hardtime deciding where to go.
I backpacked around South East Asia for three months 5 years ago so many destinations in the area I have already done. Both these would be totally new to me though. I am interested in all activities on offer, sightseeing, nature conservation, trekking, snorkelling, beaches, culture, food, nightlife and I do not mind an adventurous travel.
Has anyone been to these regions? Which did you enjoy most? Why would you pick one over the other? Any advice is welcome!
Yannick from Brussels

#1 Yannick85 has been a member since 22/8/2015. Posts: 3

Posted by exacto on 22/8/2015 at 12:34

Hi Yannick from Brussels,

Since Malaysia and the Philippines seem about the same to you, I might let logistics issues help me decide, including things like typical weather that time of year and costs. Have you looked into the price of flights from Hong Kong to these two options? If one is much cheaper than the other, or takes less time to get there, that might decide for you.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,840

Posted by Yannick85 on 22/8/2015 at 14:50

Hi exacto,

Thanks for your reply!

Flight tickets to Kota Kinabatuin (KK) are 169 euro and to Cebu 190 euro so not a big difference at all. Flight times to KK actually work out somewhat better even if is an hour further. I think the amount of time to get around when there will be important as on Sabah it is mainly land transport and in the Visayas mainly (fast)boats. For the climate, interestingly, there is 100mm more average rainfall in KK than Cebu during October. But in any case if there are particularly good or bad experiences with these places that woud make a big difference.

#3 Yannick85 has been a member since 22/8/2015. Posts: 3

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.