Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

Incheon airport layover

Posted by sunlvr on 9/9/2015 at 18:37

Looking for advise from those that have traveled thru Incheon, South Korea. We have a bit of a layover on our S.E. Asia adventure and I'm wondering if anyone has done the self guided tour on the Maglev train? A brochure I found says it leaves from the airport> St.Yongyu>raw fish center> Jamjin Island> airport. I'm curious how much time we would need to do this little side trip?
Thanks!

#1 sunlvr has been a member since 7/8/2014. Posts: 37

Posted by exacto on 9/9/2015 at 19:00

hi sun,

i didn't do the self-guided tour during my stopover at incheon, but i did sign up for one of the pay tours at the desk in the arrivals area. it was january, and the tours were being offered at a deep discount. we took a bus into town, visited an old castle, wandered around a shopping and pedestrian area, and had a korean lunch at a cafe in the area. all in all it was good value for money and a great way to spend the day.

this airport get excellent reviews too, and for good reason. there are multiple dining options, including food court-style meals, cultural displays, and even a few activities like crafts. my favorite, however, were the sleeping chairs and showers in the upper level (i think it is level 4). when i went through this airport, the chairs and showers were free. again, it was january, and not a lot of travelers, so no lines. it may be different during busier travel times of the year. the shower rooms had shower, sink, and toilet. you could rent a towel, but we had an old beater towel with us and just used that and abandoned it when we were done instead.

that isn't exactly what you asked about, but i mention it because i very much enjoyed my layover at incheon and to point out that there are other options too in case the self-guided tour doesn't work out for you. cheers.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,840

Posted by daawgon on 10/9/2015 at 12:37

I transfer at this airport every year since I travel from the US to Vietnam on Asiana. Seoul Incheon is one of the most efficient airports in the world, and the trains that go to downtown Seoul are excellent and fast.

I suggest you use one of the Goodwill Guides - individuals volunteer to give free tours in Seoul, and the grandfather who showed me around was excellent, and remains my friend to this day. http://tinyurl.com/cqq9nj4

(language is a problem in Korea!)

#3 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 1,159

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.