Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

8 Weeks in Southeast Asia itinerary

Posted by Ian15 on 11/9/2015 at 10:21

Hi everyone, I’m planning to travel to Southeast Asia nextyear (probably May, June and July) for 8 weeks. I have put together a roughitinerary for the trip below. The only dates which will be fixed are thearrival and departure from Bangkok, everything else I intend to be flexiblewith and book transport and accommodation as I go along.
Any thoughts / advice on the itinerary below would begreatly appreciated.
I’m looking to experience the culture, spend some time trekking/cycling,beaches

Arrive Bangkok
Bangkok (1 Day)
Ayutthaya (3 Days) includingtravel from Bangkok AM Day 1 + Sleeper Train to Chiang Mai PM Day 3
Chiang Mai (6 Days) includingarriving AM of Day 1 and a 3 day trek
Travel from Chiang Mai to Chiang Khong (1 Day)
Luxury Slow Boat down Mekong River (Huay Xai to Pakbeng to Luang Prabang )(2 Days)
Luang Prabang (4Days)
Travel Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng - Bus (1 Day)
Vang Vieng (2 Days)
Travel Vang Vieng to Vientine - Bus (1 Day)
Vientine (1 Day)
Travel Vientine to Hanoi (1 Day) – Fly
Hanoi (9 Days)including side trips to Sa Pa and Ha Long Bay. Day 9 includes Sleeper train to Hue
Hue (3 Days)
Motorbike ride Hue to Hoi An – Hai Van Pass (1 Day)
Hoi An (2 Days)
Travel Hoi An to Nha Trang – Train (1 Day)*
Nha Trang (2 Days)*
Travel Nha Trang to Ho Chi Minh City – Train (1 Day)
Ho Chi Minh City (1 Day)
Travel to Phnom Penh – Bus (1 Day)
Phnom Penh (2 Day)
Travel Phnom Penh to Siem Reap –Bus/Boat TBD (1 Day)
Siem Reap (2 Day)
Travel to Battambang – Boat TBD (1Day)*
Battambang (1 Day)*
Travel back to Bangkok – Route TBD (1 Day)
Bangkok (2 Days)
Spare Day (1 Day)
Depart Bangkok

#1 Ian15 has been a member since 11/9/2015. Posts: 10

Posted by Gogomobile on 12/9/2015 at 06:46

I wouldnt skip southern Thailand but you might not like beaches. 1st half is well paced but 2nd looks rushed.

#2 Gogomobile has been a member since 14/4/2015. Posts: 412

Posted by amnicoll on 12/9/2015 at 11:03

I agree it does begin to be rushed at the endand I am willing to bet that you will change things as you go along as fellow travellers suggest further must sees. Either be prepared to miss Cambodia or perhaps the north of Vietnam. Both are worth visiting but will still be there next year

#3 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 976

Posted by MADMAC on 12/9/2015 at 11:52

Fly from Hanoi to Phnom Phen and it makes a lot more sense. You are screaming down Vietnam - it will be exhausting.If Hanoi and it's environs are part of your "must see", then fly. Otherwise you can tool down Laos using those two plus weeks to check out Tha Khek, Bolavens and 4,000 Islands and head into siem Reap from there.

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by Ian15 on 21/9/2015 at 09:25

I agree the second half is a bit rushed. I'm thinking of missing out Nha Trang to give me 3 extra days else where.

#5 Ian15 has been a member since 11/9/2015. Posts: 10

Posted by MADMAC on 21/9/2015 at 12:28

You have virtually no time in Bangkok, arguably the most significant city in Southeast Asia, and no time in Saigon either. If Saigon is just a transit point, then why not just fly out of Hanoi to PP? Smart not anchoring yourself to fixed times though.

#6 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by amnicoll on 22/9/2015 at 04:50

To add to madmac's comment not only is HCM a destination in it's own right but from there it opens up the Mekong delta, Chu Chi and Tay Nihn

#7 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 976

Posted by Ian15 on 4/3/2016 at 08:33

Its been a while since I posted my original itinerary. I now have 11 to 12 weeks to travel through Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia. I now plan to travel end of September, all off October and November and the start of December.

The itinerary has not changed to much, but I have added more time in each location. Saying that I now have about 13 days spare, which I would like to fit in somewhere. I was thinking possibly Kampot and Sihanoukville/Koh Rong. Does anyone have any recommendations/suggestions and also how best to fit it in with my existing itinerary.

Arrive Bangkok

Bangkok (1 Day)

Ayutthaya (3 Days) includingtravel from Bangkok AM Day 1 + Sleeper Train to Chiang Mai PM Day 3

Chiang Mai (8 Days) includingarriving AM of Day 1 and a 3 day trek

Travel from Chiang Mai to Chiang Khong (1 Day)

Luxury Slow Boat down Mekong River (Huay Xai to Pakbeng to Luang Prabang )(2 Days)

Luang Prabang ( 6 Days)

Travel Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng - Bus (1 Day)

Vang Vieng (3 Days)

Travel Vang Vieng to Vientine - Bus (1 Day)

Vientiane (1 Day)

Travel Vientine to Hanoi (1 Day) – Fly

Hanoi (10 Days)including side trips to Sa Pa and Ha Long Bay. Day 10 includes Sleeper train to Hue

Hue (3 Days)

Motorbike ride Hue to Hoi An – Hai Van Pass (1 Day)

Hoi An (5 Days)

Travel Hoi An to Ho Chi Minh City – Train (1 Day)

Ho Chi Minh City (3 Day)

Travel to Phnom Penh – Bus (1 Day)

Phnom Penh (2 Day)

Travel Phnom Penh to Siem Reap –Bus (1 Day)

Siem Reap (3 Day)

Travel to Battambang – Boat (1Day)

Battambang (1 Day)

Travel back to Bangkok – Bus/Train (1 Day)

Bangkok (1 Days)

Depart Bangkok

#8 Ian15 has been a member since 11/9/2015. Posts: 10

Posted by somtam2000 on 4/3/2016 at 21:04 admin

That looks a very solid, comfortably timed trip to me. Adding in the Cambodian islands or Kampot and Kep (I would only transit through Sihanoukville ) would work well as you'll be right at the end of the wet season/start of the dry season so the weather should be pretty good.

If you were to add them in, I would slot them in after Phnom Penh , so something like Phnom Penh -> Kep -> Kampot -> Sihanoukville -> Whichever island -> Sihanoukville -> Battambang -> Siem Reap -> Bangkok. Geographically the loop makes more sense that way rather than going to Angkor etc first.

Cheers

#9 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,089

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.