Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

Malaysia and Thailand in October

Posted by suekwd on 28/9/2015 at 17:31

Please can anyone advise the best places to visit in Malaysia or Thailand during the month of October. I particularly love quiet beaches and snorkeling but fear this is not the best time of year for that, on either the East or West coast?? I am flying into Kuala Lumpur from UK on 1st October, flying back on 30th. Would I be advised to go on somewhere else where weather conditions might be better? Any recommendations welcome. Thankyou! Susan

#1 suekwd has been a member since 28/9/2015. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 28/9/2015 at 18:01 admin

October is a monsoon transitionary period for both Malaysia and Thailand with two different monsoon seasons rotating on and off respectively.

If the weather gods smile on you, especially in early October, Malaysia's Perhentian Islands could be good -- if the onset of the monsoon holds off.

Likewise in Southwest Thailand, if their monsoon finishes early, then the southwest islands - stuff like Ko Lipe Ko Tarutao Ko Luk and Ko Kradan could all be good in late October.

But, in both cases, expect the unexpected. Given your interests and as you;re already flying into KL, I'd be inclined to head to the Perhentians first and then head across to the southwest of Thailand towards the end of October and cross your fingers for favourable monsoon conditions on both sides.

Hope that helps!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,090

Posted by Gogomobile on 28/9/2015 at 19:07

The beaches are quieter from May to October so you picked a good time to go.

The Trang and Krabi islands are excellent.

#3 Gogomobile has been a member since 14/4/2015. Posts: 412

Posted by amnicoll on 30/9/2015 at 06:14

Gogo - perhaps there is a reason why the beaches are quieter

Are you making a specific recommendation for Trang and Krabi in October or a general recommendation?

#4 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 976

Posted by Gogomobile on 30/9/2015 at 06:25

Yeah Xmas time is peak holiday time. Nothing wrong with October. Krabi is good all year round. Trang is quieter but still doable.

#5 Gogomobile has been a member since 14/4/2015. Posts: 412

Posted by somtam2000 on 30/9/2015 at 07:59 admin

If you take a look at the weather map we have here (requires Flash), you'll see October is the second wettest month of the year (after September) for Krabi, though, to be fair that rain skews towards the start of the month and should be drying out by later in the month. But, like I said above, the transitionary monsoon periods can be a bit of a crapshoot.

So if the OP was still considering both Malaysia and Thailand, doing Malaysia before Thailand is probably worth considering.

#6 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,090

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.