Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

Forest fires in Indonesia

Posted by tintifax on 29/9/2015 at 04:52

Hi,

I'm going to travel to Southeast Asia in October, starting with Malaysia and Indonesia (at least that's the plan). Now I've heard that the forest fires in Indonesia (Borneo and Sumatra) are still ongoing, also affecting Malaysia and Singapore.
Does anyone of you have any further information about that (which regions are affected, etc)? I'm thinking of changing the route because I want to avoid spending too much time in regions that are full of smoke...

#1 tintifax has been a member since 29/9/2015. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 29/9/2015 at 06:02 admin

I was in Penang a week ago and it was awful. KL and Singapore are currently awful. How bad was it? Ahhh it depends on you I guess, I found it quite uncomfortable -- burning eyes, shortness of breath etc -- I didn't really want to go outside. Obviously plenty of people were outside though! Singapore has closed the schools, not sure about KL.

This link pretty much sums it up. As the peat is now burning, it won't really begin to dissipate till the rains start -- hopefully soon.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,090

Posted by tintifax on 30/9/2015 at 01:28

Hi somtam,

ok I've seen enough. I will skip the first part of my journey and start on the Java island going eastward (Bali,...). Do you think there is smoke to be expected also on Java? What about the winds? I guess they keep their direction as it is right now?

Thanks!

#3 tintifax has been a member since 29/9/2015. Posts: 2

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.