Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

2 Weeks around SE Asia

Posted by jacquelinem28 on 14/11/2015 at 17:55

Hi!

I am planning a two week trip around SE Asia for December (I know, late planning). We plan to start in Seoul and then fly over to Indonesia (Bali most likely) first? Would this make the most sense? Where do you recommend to fly into? I was thinking that it would probably be best to get an international flight out of Bangkok back home... (I'd like to do the Gili T Islands, maybe Ubud?) then do Cambodia (Siem Reap and Phenom Penh?) then Thailand (Bangkok and maybe 1 island.. Koh Tao). Unfortunately, my trip has to be very limited as my work will not allow for more time off but I want to pack in as much as possible.

Does anyone have any advice on Indonesia and where to go? Where to stay? Also, the safest ways to get around? I've heard mixed reviews about the fast boats to Gili T and the Indonesian airlines. I have done Thailand, Laos and Vietnam before, but this will be my first time to Cambodia. Any advice for Cambodia? What are the must-do things in Cambodia and must visit places? Same question for Bali?

Any other places/suggestions would be greatly appreciated as well! Also, any cool activities or experiences that anyone has done in these places would be helpful too!

Thank you so much!
Jacqueline

#1 jacquelinem28 has been a member since 14/11/2015. Posts: 1

Posted by daawgon on 16/11/2015 at 13:57

Jacqueline - I really think you need a travel agent, and 2 weeks is not a reasonable amount of time to see all of those locations!

#2 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 1,159

Posted by exacto on 16/11/2015 at 15:59

Hi Jacqueline,

As daawgon says, two weeks is not a reasonable amount of time to see all those locations. I'm afraid if you try to squeeze in all those sites, that you'll spend more time getting from place to place than you will being in those places. You'll pack in more fun by picking just a few spots to visit.

With two weeks, I'd limit the trip to either just Indonesia (Bali and Gili T have plenty to keep you busy for two weeks), or Cambodia and a Thai or Cambodian island.

If you go to Indonesia, you might try taking the slow boat from Bali to Lombok and then work onwards to the Gilis. The slow boat is more romantic, cheaper, and even somewhat safer than the fast boat, but these things are relative. The disadvantage is that you'll spend more time getting to the Gilis this way, where as a fast boat will drop you right on the island.

I think Ubud is over-rated and over-developed, but it does have good shopping, great food, and a fun spa culture. Sidemen seems to be the place folks who visited Ubud 20 years ago are talking about now.

If you go to Cambodia, there is enough in Siem Reap/Angkor and Phnom Penh to keep you busy for the first week. After that, you might look into the beaches and islands there, or cross back into Thailand and visit Koh Chang and the nearby islands for the second week.

From where will you be flying (home) and why would you be starting in Seoul? Cheers.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,848

Posted by Gogomobile on 16/11/2015 at 17:25

1 country in 2 weeks is sensible. 4 is a mad rush that would see you experiencing hotels and airports but little else.

Pick 1 country.

#4 Gogomobile has been a member since 14/4/2015. Posts: 412

Posted by MADMAC on 17/11/2015 at 03:27

I only have two weeks but would like to see Europe. I am flying to Moscow, then I plan to fly to Lisbon. From there I want to go to Rome and then over to one of the Islands for some beach time - I was thinking about Sardinia. After that, off to Paris and then on to London to fly back home.

That's what your plan sounds like, only the distances you are contemplating are longer...

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by chinarocks on 17/11/2015 at 05:12

Sardinia is a great choice for beach time.

#6 chinarocks has been a member since 17/6/2011. Posts: 738

Posted by Captain_Bob on 17/11/2015 at 06:03

Seoul
Bali
Gili Islands
Siem Reap
Phenom Penh
Bangkok
Koh Tao

Even if you spend just two days in each place it leaves no room for transport between. Leave something out. Logistically it makes sense to fly into Bangkok and then branch out to Cambodia and 1-2 islands. Are you actually visiting Seoul or just passing through?

#7 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,958

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.