Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

Postal Success from Burma, Vietnam, Laos?

Posted by FernR on 22/11/2015 at 06:21

Hi all,
Does anyone have a sense of whether mail works reliably (ie, for sending packages back to the US) from Burma, Cambodia, Laos, & Vietnam? Trying to figure out whether we'll be able to mail souvenirs back... Any special tips? (Like bring your own bags, or whatever?)

Thanks for any thoughts,
/Fern

#1 FernR has been a member since 31/10/2015. Posts: 14

Posted by yonderbound on 1/12/2015 at 09:37

Hello!

What is your expected TAT for this? Postal service tends to quite a while so if you're keen on getting your souvenirs quickly to your families and friends, the postal isn't the best option.

Try to check the rates of DHL or FedEx as they're known for moving parcels efficiently and safely, you'll most likely be happier with the service.

Hope this helps :)

#2 yonderbound has been a member since 24/11/2015. Posts: 3

Posted by daawgon on 3/12/2015 at 10:39

Regular mail from Vietnam can take up to 4 or 5 months, and the packages will be opened by US Customs prior to delivery. I agree that the express services are very good and quick. My own experience mailing heavy items from Vietnam to the USA is not too good - it took 4 months from Hoi An, and the goods arrived chipped (it appeared that they were not properly repacked by US Customs).

#3 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 1,159

Posted by FernR on 3/12/2015 at 10:46

Just what I wanted to know, thanks very much!
/Fern

#4 FernR has been a member since 31/10/2015. Posts: 14

Posted by davidhaltson on 3/12/2015 at 21:39

Yes, postal success in most of countries.

#5 davidhaltson has been a member since 13/11/2015. Posts: 5

Posted by Ikat on 7/12/2015 at 22:26

I sent packages from Luang Prabang in Laos in February. They ones that went Express came quickly. The one that went surface took months.

Express comes with excellent tracking while with surface it goes into the void and you wait.

In Luang Prabang, they made custom boxes to fit what you were sending. The charge was trivial.

FWIW, my American Post Office messed up he delivery, so one of them packages went back to LP. A friend there went to the PO, they found it and he re-sent it. Much better than the U.S.!

#6 Ikat has been a member since 19/11/2015. Posts: 7

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.