Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

3 months to spend in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam starting June2016

Posted by Artix on 22/11/2015 at 20:15

Hi guys,

So myself and my partner are planning a trip to Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam in June.
I've started to look around for routes and places to visit, but would love to get some suggestions.
Maybe someone been on a similar trip within this time frame??

We decided to spend 1 month in each country, but now having thoughts of;

6 weeks in Thailand
3 weeks in Cambodia and
3 weeks in Vietnam

What do you think, would be the best option to explore these countries?

As everyone else we would love to see as much as possible, but have enough time to enjoy it too.
We would like to see a few islands, learn to dive, maybe party a bit, do the jungle trekks, go of the beaten track, get to know locals and do a bit of kite surfing.

We will have approximately £6000 budget for the whole trip including flights, visas, jabs etc.
Both of us are pretty active and eager to explore as much as possible so any ideas/suggestions of regions with places to visit and things to to would be much appreciated.

Many thanks for your help and hope to hear soon,

Arthur

#1 Artix has been a member since 21/10/2015. Posts: 3

Posted by chinarocks on 23/11/2015 at 08:34

Not being pedantic but if its three months, then you have 13 weeks.

In general, your plan is good and not the rushed type we often see here. I would try and give Vietnam another week if possible. It's a massive and diverse country.

#2 chinarocks has been a member since 17/6/2011. Posts: 738

Posted by Artix on 23/11/2015 at 09:41

Hiya,

We are planning to go 10th June and be back by 4th September, so it gives us roughly 12 weeks.
Thanks for your advise will look into it, but will really depend on the weather i guess as its only good in central and southern Vietnam.

Any suggestions what places to visit?

#3 Artix has been a member since 21/10/2015. Posts: 3

Posted by chinarocks on 23/11/2015 at 10:46

OK so, 12 weeks.

Three countries is a great idea:

Thailand - 5 weeks
Vietnam - 4 weeks
Cambodia - 3 weeks.

Three weeks is loads in Cambodia - Phomh Penh, Kampot, Sihanoukville, Battambang, Tonle Sap, Angkor Temples.

Vietnam - Hanoi, Sapa, Halong Bay, Hue, Hoi An, Dalat, HCMC, Mekong Delta.

I don't know Thailand very well.

Start in Hanoi, end in Bangkok, if possible.

#4 chinarocks has been a member since 17/6/2011. Posts: 738

Posted by TerroirTravel on 23/11/2015 at 20:34

Hi,

The first thing I notice is that you are planning to stay in Thailand for more time than you may be allowed. Have you researched the limits? I'm guessing that you are a UK citizen, is this correct? If that's the case, you may be only allowed 30 days of visa free travel.

In any case, a favorite thing in Thailand for me was the Elephant Nature Park outside of Chiang Mai. In Cambodia I loved Kampot, but the best thing I did in se Asia was Phong Nha Kebang in Vietnam- the cave exploring was a unique and fun experience, and I met people there that I stay in contact with.

I'll second chinarocks that it is nice to see a plan that isn't crazy hectic. I also agree that more time in Vietnam is better, it's bigger than you think!

#5 TerroirTravel has been a member since 1/2/2014. Posts: 76

Posted by exacto on 24/11/2015 at 07:05

If it were me, I'd probably choose to fly in and out of Bangkok. I like starting trips in Thailand because I think that out of all the mainland Southeast Asian countries, it is the easiest to get around and a good place to get settled in for a long trip. I'd start out visiting the north and maybe the northeast and use up that first 30 days visa exemption you get.
From there I'd book a cheap flight to Hanoi (book as far in advance as you can) and work my way down south. I've heard many folks say three weeks is enough for this, but as you've got time, I'd give it four. That is your second 30 days.
Then I'd work my way up the Mekong into Phnom Penh and then over to Siem Reap and Angkor Way. Two to two and a half weeks should be good for this. Then I'd head back into Thailand for that last 10 days to two weeks and hit the beach. Then fly home out of BKK.
Two things you'll want to work out before you go are visas and weather. You are certainly "allowed" to stay in Thailand longer than 30 days by either getting a 60-day tourist visa before you arrive, extending your 30-day visa exemption after you arrive, or by leaving and then coming back and getting a new visa exemption. Cambodia should be an easy visa-on-arrival situation, but you'll want to verify how much it costs and other requirements for the entry point you plan to use. You may also wish to arrange your Vietnam visa ahead of time.
As for weather, you'll be bumping into the rainy season in Thailand for sure, but I don't know what the Vietnam weather looks like during the time you plan to travel. That may help you decide when you want to travel to each place.
China has a good idea above about an open jaw itinerary (fly into Hanoi and out of Bangkok, for example), as it will give you more flexibility and also mean you don't have to backtrack, but sometimes those types of fares are more expensive, so look at options before you book. Cheers.

#6 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,831

Posted by Artix on 24/11/2015 at 16:47

Hey folks! thank you so much for all responses, much appreciated!

China rocks - your suggested route seems pretty good! However after researching what's the weather going to be like, will have to travel quite the opposite.
It would be great to start in Bangkok and travel to North Thailand, catch a flight to North Vietnam and work our way South followed by Cambodia and End up in Thailand for another week ish.

But after looking at the weather forecasts it now seems that the best option for us is;

Start from South Thailand travel up North, comeback to Bangkok catch a train to Cambodia (Siem Reap) travel south, from there to Vietnam (Saigon) travel up north (it will depend on weather how far we will get). At the end of the trip catch a flight to Bangkok and spend another couple of days before going home. Will have to backtrack a bit and splash the budget, but not sure if there is another way when travelling during monsoon.

Thailand - 5 weeks
Cambodia - 3 weeks
Vietnam - 4 weeks

Got myself a travel guide so will be working on the destinations, things to see and do, but think majority mentioned earlier will fall into itinerary. We are Lithuanian national living in London, so in terms of visas its all ok, only for Thailand will have to get 60 day tourist visa.

There is so many things to see and its impossible to see all of it so the hardest thing is to pick and choose.
Any recommendations on must see or do?

Also i've also just spoken to couple of friends who have traveled in Thailand and they said not to get into detail with itinerary too much because plans might change, you meet people and decide to change something etc. So not sure now, I would like this trip to be spontaneous and go with the flow, but im worried that will miss out on some great places.

What did you guys do?? have you planned a lot or just roughly to give you an idea which way to travel?

Cheers guys!!

#7 Artix has been a member since 21/10/2015. Posts: 3

Posted by Gogomobile on 24/11/2015 at 17:33

Starting in southern Thailand in June is a good idea. That area gets pretty wet in August to Oct. Id fly to Trang and visit Ngai/Mook/Kradan then head north to Krabi and Phang nga. Allow about 2 weeks.

From there you could fly to bangkok and visit Kanchanaburi. Allow 5 nights Bkk and 3n Kanch.

Then fly to Udon and bus it to Nong Khai. Or fly Chiang Mai and visit Mae Hong Son.

#8 Gogomobile has been a member since 14/4/2015. Posts: 412

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.