Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

how much time for Vietnam, Laos, Thailand and Cambodia?

Posted by edi on 20/12/2015 at 15:37

hi, I have 4, maximum 5 weeks off.

I would like to see all these four countries - Vietnam, Laos, Thailand and Cambodia. As I know it may be too little time to see all of them thoroughly, I thought of seeing just the northern parts of Vietnam, Laos, Thailand and the western part of Cambodia. The Halong Bay and Sapa as well as Angkor temples are a must see for me. The itinerary destinations are pretty close to each other, so i guess i would spend as much time on getting from one place to another, as if i stayed in less countries but wanting to see more things within those countries? Is it a crazy plan? should i rather calm down and stick to less countries ?

#1 edi has been a member since 20/12/2015. Posts: 2

Posted by magicFly on 20/12/2015 at 18:15

I think it would be a pretty rush to do all countries in 4 weeks. Stick to one or max two countries and enjoy them without rushing through it.

If you really want to do all of them in 4 weeks, you must take a lot of flights. Just to get a feeling for the distances from Sapa to Luang Prabang in Lao its a 30h bus ride. From Luang Prabang to Siem Reap its another 30 - 40 h bus ride....

#2 magicFly has been a member since 13/7/2014. Posts: 61

Posted by Captain_Bob on 20/12/2015 at 23:41

It's only really practical with the distances involved and limited time if you connect the dots by air. First establish where you're flying in/out of the region, with Bangkok probably having the most options. Could do something like Bangkok - Chiang Mai - Luang Prabang - Hanoi - HCMC - Phnom Penh - Siem Reap - Bangkok by air, and then fill in the gaps with side-trips or a bit of overland travel. Regional budget airlines include Air Asia, Nok Air, Thai Lion Air, Jetstar Asia, Cambodian Angkor Air.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,957

Posted by edi on 21/12/2015 at 04:06

thank you so much guys for the response!
I was just wandering why the travells take so long? the google map tells me it takes just one third of that time if one goes by car. Are the buses so much slower? would hiring a motobike shorten the travelling time a bit?
I consider now flying to Phnom Penh to see what I can in Cambodia (within 1,5 weeks?) and then going to Ho Chi Minh, renting a motobike and visiting Vietnam all the way up to Sapa. Then flying back from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh or to Bangkok (its much cheaper than flights to Cambodia) to get back to the aeroport in Phnom Penh (in total about 2,5 weeks in Vietnam).
Does it sound more reasonable? Are there any chain companies renting bikes in Vietnam so I could give it back in Hanoi (instead of going back the south where i would have rent it from)?

#4 edi has been a member since 20/12/2015. Posts: 2

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.