Text page

Southeast Asia

Southeast Asia forum

Itinerary suggestions: 2 months solo in SE Asia during April/May

Posted by ebove on 21/12/2015 at 08:05

I'm currently an English teacher in northeast Thailand and am beginning to plan for a (roughly) 2 month backpacking trip beginning April 1 when I am done teaching. I'm having a really hard time narrowing down where I'd like to go and would really appreciate any help with itinerary and route planning I can get!

At this point, I am mostly planning on traveling solo. Because I'll be alone, I'd love to go to places where I will have the opportunity to meet other travelers; however, I'm not a big partier and would prefer a more laid back vibe. This is my first solo trip as a 23 year old female, so going places that are relatively safe is a consideration (although I realize it's mostly about being smart, as I have lived in a large US city that probably had a higher crime rate than anywhere I will be going). I have spent a great deal of time in landlocked Thailand, so I am looking to explore more of the country, particularly the islands. Optimally, I'd like find a few islands that are relatively easy to get to, scenic, relaxing, but where I could still meet other younger travelers. Weather wise, I'm not sure whether it would be best to go to the Thai islands at the beginning or end of my trip.

As far as destinations outside of Thailand, I am pretty open minded. I have considered doing Chiang Mai/Pai/Chiang Rai and then taking the river boat to Luang Prabang. I'd like to see more of Laos but have heard mixed reviews about Vang Vieng and Vientiane so I'm not sure where to go from there - any opinions? I have already visited Siem Reap and Angkor Wat, which was the biggest attraction to me personally in Cambodia. I'd be willing to go back there but it's not a necessity. I would like to end my trip in Bali and the Gili Isles.

Ultimately, I am looking for advice on:
1) Itinerary suggestions that would be practical to visit along with the places I listed above. I'd also be willing to consider alternative destinations to these spots.
2) The best Thai islands for me to visit that are scenic, relaxing, but still easy to meet a more laid back traveling crowd.
3) I'd like to hear from other SE Asia travelers what countries/places stood out to them in particular. My biggest problem is that everywhere I read about sounds so amazing and I'm having a hard time narrowing it down to only 2 months.

#1 ebove has been a member since 6/12/2015. Posts: 1

Posted by clevam on 22/12/2015 at 20:29

If it was me I would fly to Denpassar, Bali and do your beach island thing first up. Relax as long as you need and work a path home. Do your research but travel unscheduled.
I loved Pakse, Four thousand islands area. Definitely laid back>horizontal.

Have a great trip.

#2 clevam has been a member since 17/6/2010. Posts: 6

Posted by adrianlopez on 18/2/2016 at 01:24

The best time to visit Thailand is May which have cooler weather and dry. Furthermore with 2 months i think you can travel around SEA beginning at Thailand-Vietnam-Cambodia because from Thailand you can fly directly to Vietnam and catch daily bus to Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam to Phnom Penh to travel.

#3 adrianlopez has been a member since 27/1/2016. Posts: 55

Posted by mattgdavison on 18/2/2016 at 14:28

So i lived in Thailand and loved all the islands.

Phi Phi - for parties, snorkeling and beaching

Koh Pangan -Full moon parties

Koa Toa - Diving and night life

Koh Sumoi - Spas, nice beaches and fairly chilled

Similian Island - Blue water and great diving

Koh Lanta - pretty chilled nice beaches

Phuket - big - Lots to do, Old town, nai harn beach, Promp thep Cape

#4 mattgdavison has been a member since 18/2/2016. Posts: 1

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.